NEW SHEEP-YARDS....

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi Ridge, thank you for the note...Are Australian Shepard's know for working stock? If so, i am unaware of them.

At this time all of my Kelpies have a "cut" of B.C in them. As i have commented before my dogs would "run through the gates of Hell "for me such is their dedication,in fact when the 4 of them are "off together" it is a continual contest for attention from me as they all seek to be "favorite in my eyes".

I hope you will try the tip of one locked up at the end so the others can see as they enter the race,you can imagine drafting a mob of 100 if there is any reluctance for them to enter.

With regard to the Damara's ,this years lamb drop will be a matter of which ram was quickest ,but next year they will go to one of the South African "Van Rooys" to not only reduce the leg length ,but to quieten the next generation as well.Anyway that's the plan.....T.O.R

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have an Aussie that is trained to work sheep and we know of a lot of people that have them as working dogs. That being said, if we had our Border Collie first we we would not have gotten the Aussie. She has made a super pet thought. :)

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks,i was intrigued by this breed (Australian Shepard) so i had a search around ,no wonder i had not heard of them.The breed is actually American ,developed from the Spanish Shepard's brought from Spain by shepherds who came to look after the then large flocks in the USA....From what i have read if you were after a shepherding one the search could be quite a long one to get the desired type, temperament and working ability (it is much the same with Kelpies in Aussie). The show or bench type of Kelpie i suspect has rarely if ever seen a "sheep" and the natural instincts that i "prize" has all but completely bred out of them,but like your Aussie's make excellent pets.....T.O.R.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love Australian Shepherds and have had quite a few of them over the years. They do make great pets. I had one that was a fanatic about playing fetch, so much so that she would retrieve cans I shot off a post, in target practice. She got all excited at the word gun, so I would spell it, then she learned to spell. Dog was nuts for fetching. I had friends that would take her duck hunting, she was better than a Labrador. She was my buddy and friend.

This is Polly, the last one I had. When my mom had a stroke and came to live with us, Polly decided that Mom needed special attention. Mom never liked dogs, but at Polly's gentle nudge, asking for attention, Mom loved Polly. Polly was awesome with the grand daughters, standing for them to lace tiny fingers in her fur and learn to pull up and stand up. She was outstanding in her big heart and loved by all who knew her.

IMG483.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You look like your mom, .....very sweet picture :love :hugs
My Mom was a small, petite woman with a strong will and determination to be reckoned with. Wonder where I get it from? LOL My daughter is her spitting image. Uncanny, lots of the same personality traits too. Polly helped make Mom's later years happier ones and Mom loved Polly dearly.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Mom was a small, petite woman with a strong will and determination to be reckoned with. Wonder where I get it from? LOL My daughter is her spitting image. Uncanny, lots of the same personality traits too. Polly helped make Mom's later years happier ones and Mom loved Polly dearly.
No wonder there at all lol, .....you are your mothers daughter !
Sounds like Polly did a wonderful job winning your moms love, ...that picture is priceless :love

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Polly was my shadow. She loved everybody, but I belonged to her.

Mom fell and fractured her back and had kypho surgery. I probably spelled that wrong, but they injected a glue to hold the bone fragments together, which was a great success. She had to go to rehab for therapy and the first thing she asked for was Polly. I went straight home and got Polly. Polly always knew what made Mom feel better.

IMG1267.jpg

Sorry for high jacking your thread TOR!! But you know how it is when you get to talking about the fine dogs you have had in your life. I sure hope dogs go to heaven.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can find Aussies from have working bloodlines, you have to find someone who does herding. We got one because a friend that trained Border Collies said we would have trouble with a BC. We didn't have enough work to keep it busy and happy. She said they are known for sneaking off and working the sheep on their own! LOL According to her we would have to keep it confined in a kennel except when working. On the other hand all her dogs herding dogs were field trailers and she as a field trial judge. I imagine if I looked around I could find a dog that was less intense. She suggested Aussies since they are wonderful family dogs too, and don't have that drive to herd like most BCs. We got Shadow half trained then the herding trainer moved away. We really didn't need her herding skills, but just like Polly, Shadow let the babies pull themselves upright on her. She stayed at the foot of their cribs during naps and if I didn't hear them wake she would come out and get me! Great dog. If I were to get a herding dog thought I would probably look for a Border Collie. Kelpies are not as common here, and some of the Australian cattle dogs are supposed to be too rough when working ewes with young lambs. I will have to research it before getting one.

Latest posts