New small barn- ventilation and flooring help?

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just bought this farm, closed July 15. It has a craptastic something or another that loosely resembles a shed. On the left, not in picture is a shed with closed doors, barely a step above craptastic.

View attachment 95049

It is a brilliant or maybe redneck ignorant example of metal roof condensation and drips. I took pictures for your viewing pleasure.

View attachment 95050

Lines of drips every 2 1/2 feet.

I have to position the metal trash cans that hold feed between drip lines.

View attachment 95051

This is supremely annoying. Avoid this with decking, roofing felt, insulation board or whatever, but you do not want to lay out money for this.

I will tear down this craptastic shed, but for now it’s all I have. As long as it’s reasonably serviceable, there are other more pressing things ahead of it. Annoying. Why have a roof if it’s going to rain all over everything you put under it?
AMEN SISTER!!!!!
People are always asking if they can store something (just for a little bit) in my barn and I have to explain that they would just as good to throw a tarp over it where it's sitting because it rains in my barn. 😭

Nuttbynutter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just bought this farm, closed July 15. It has a craptastic something or another that loosely resembles a shed. On the left, not in picture is a shed with closed doors, barely a step above craptastic.

View attachment 95049

It is a brilliant or maybe redneck ignorant example of metal roof condensation and drips. I took pictures for your viewing pleasure.

View attachment 95050

Lines of drips every 2 1/2 feet.

I have to position the metal trash cans that hold feed between drip lines.

View attachment 95051

This is supremely annoying. Avoid this with decking, roofing felt, insulation board or whatever, but you do not want to lay out money for this.

I will tear down this craptastic shed, but for now it’s all I have. As long as it’s reasonably serviceable, there are other more pressing things ahead of it. Annoying. Why have a roof if it’s going to rain all over everything you put under it?
Wow I would have never expected this, and I really really appreciate this warning!! Uugghhh plywood is like $60-70 a sheet here, but no sense investing in a barn if I don’t do it properly I guess! I will definitely add plywood and underlay to the plans. And agree with OSB- I don’t care if it’s half the price, I will not use that crap!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow I would have never expected this, and I really really appreciate this warning!! Uugghhh plywood is like $60-70 a sheet here, but no sense investing in a barn if I don’t do it properly I guess! I will definitely add plywood and underlay to the plans. And agree with OSB- I don’t care if it’s half the price, I will not use that crap!
@canesisters said her barn does the same thing. You could probably put up 1/2” plywood. With your cold, I’d definitely recommend the insulation board. Talk to your builder.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
My barn is a wood composite on a steel frame. We live in a fire area and wood was not a good option. You may want to check it out. Our barn is from North Coast Barns - fantastic company to work with.
PS -- not necessarily saying get a barn from them - but rather check out the composite stuff.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We’ve had hard freezes and heavy frost lately. My front porch has a metal roof, all brand new when I bought the house. No decking under the metal. Yup, you guessed it-dripping in 4 rows across the porch. It barely misses the dog bed I put against the house wall for the dog.