New to Alpaca

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Are alpacas like llamas...usually do their business in a corner? If I locked up an alpaca at night in the barn, will he hold till he is let out to do his business outside? I have an opportunity to get a gelded male who is used to living with goats (no other alpaca). I plan to mix him with my goats like he is already used to but like to get some idea what their habits may be. Are goat minerals too high in copper for alpaca?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
They go in one spot but there can be multiple spots. He won't be able to hold it all night. He will create a place in the barn too. He will probably be much better at fewer spots than the pregnant females that I took care of. With living with goats, he may adapt to what goats do though but I can't imagine that he would walk and poop like the goats. He just may have more areas that he goes. Only time would tell on that one.

Goat minerals are too high in copper for alpacas.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. My goats...poop all over but they peep in a corner more than anywhere else in the barn. Maybe this alpaca may pick that up. :) Is there minerals just for alpacas? I was at Murdock but didn't see any minerals for alpacas. The current owner said Koosko eats goat food and minerals. I'll look for alpacas minerals then. I don't feed any goat feed. My goats eat Chaffhaye, timothy grass pellets and browse.

Ropada

Just born
Reaction score
Our Alpaca's tend to have a spot outside the barn and inside the barn. We generally don't close them in and they use both spots, even the inside spot right next to the open door. We also have goats in with the alpaca's and feed Blue Seal llama/alpaca pellets to them both. We also give goat mineral in a small dish every few days, the goats help themselves and the alpacas leave it alone. The goat mineral is high in copper for the alpacas so I wouldn't just leave it out. A gelded male doesn't have high nutrient needs so the pellets and decent forage should be fine in my opinion. They are strong herd animals and much happier with another Alpaca around (the goats don't really count), you might want to think about finding a friend for him. Good luck with the new addition

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks. While I do have goat minerals free choice, I don't see them eating much of it. I would sprinkle some on top of their Chaffhaye which I think they actually get more out of. I won't put out goat minerals and will look for alpaca minerals to put out. I can continue sprinkling goat minerals as top dressing for the goats. I don't think I can have another animal without getting rid of a goat first. Mine are all wethers and are pets. I am afraid for their fate if I don't keep them. I am interested in Koosko because he's happy with his goats. I'll see how he does here. If he doesn't seem happy, I'll find him a home with other Alpacas. Koosko's owner had him for two years with just goats. He is three now.

Laura White

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
what brand of minerals do you recommend for alpacas...