New to Backyard Herds in Western PA

mrichmond

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My name is Maria and while I’ve been on Backyard Chickens for over a year, I just found this site. My partner and I retired this year courtesy of covid. We’ve been lucky enough to through ourselves into our animals pretty much full-time. We have 5 poodles, a Yorkie mix, 4 cats, 8 chickens and soon, 2 Nigerian Dwarf wethers. In October, we’ll get our 2 weanling mini horses. We have an acre and a half, mostly fenced, so we’re trying to prepare for our new additions. We have a new prefab barn on order that is the perfect size for the new boys, 2 small stalls, plus a feed room. It will likely get here after the goats but before the minis, so the kids, Ben and Jerry will stay in a run off the porch. We’ll be able to get to know each other better that way.

Anyhow, I’m happy to be here and looking forward to being part of Backyard Herds. 63BE205E-CA8B-4341-82FC-5725CEAADB03.jpeg8C178984-BFA2-45C4-9DE6-AC32DE9F2118.jpegD3D14AF4-CF07-4428-BC54-D9623B0CAD02.jpeg04DF9DC6-8332-4364-9F70-80EB1A65E0C4.jpeg

chanceosunshine

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi Maria, I’m pretty new here too but I'm learning a lot from reading and asking questions.
I’m originally from Western Pa and will most likely be returning there in the next year or so for good, I hope...and I also belong to BYC.
Looks like you have a nice crew!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the herd! We are already retired, on 8 acres with sheep, horses, chickens, dogs and a garden. The stay at home order didn't faze us, we always have plenty to do! This is a friendly place, jump in and join the conversations.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. Nice group you have there. AND -- we love pictures, so you started out well. :D I raised mini horses & donks for a long, long time. Still have some, as retirees...they're fun. And goats here, too.

I'm toying with "retirement" but, only part way there --- do enjoy not having a schedule made "for" you.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Helllo :frow
Welcome from Alberta, Canada 🇨🇦
I have Goats a Mini horse and a Poodle too. How exciting for you. Your going to absolutely love your new adventure. ❤🐐🐴
Feel free to jump into conversations. All these people are welcoming and very helpful. 😊

Last edited:

mrichmond

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! We’re loving all the critters! As far as not having a schedule made for us, they’re pretty much what makes the schedule around here. As long as one of us gets the coffee made, everything else falls into place. I must admit, I do miss people a bit. I taught jewelry-making classes at a number of national shows that have since folded. I’d love to get back to it someday, but in the meantime, we’re really lucky to be where we are, so we’re really thankful.