New to BYC

farmgirl68

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi,
I have reading the posts on here for several weeks and decided to register today, so I can post. I just moved July 3rd to a 3 acre farm in Lithia, Florida. We have 2 new family members our pot belly pig Annibelle and our Mini Rex Trey. We are searching for a playmate for both Annibelle and Trey. We are also planning on getting chickens soon. Our mini farm will be partly used to help mentally challenged and Autistic children, with the help of the farm animals. We also in the process of planting a veggie/fruit garden.

I have been following the living self sufficent posts.

I am hoping by this time year to have a 90% self sufficent farm.

I am a mother of an Autistic teenager girl. I am married 23 years (hubby is also disabled). Our best friend also lives with us. Our finally family member is our 12 yr old Alaskan/Husky Miles. He loves the farm and chasing the tractor when we mow the yard.

I am a Paraprofessional for Autistic children, preschool teacher for over 20 years, a homeschool teacher to my child and others in the community, and a certified tutor in Florida.

I'm also a full fledged vegetarian.

I love my garden and my farm pets.

I just wanted to say hi, and look forward to speaking to you s

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome to the herd!

You sound like you have your hands full. I hope the farm works out for the autistic kids and I commend you for it. We have a nephew who is midly autistic.

farmgirl68

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty:

I love working with autistic and Special Needs children. My daughter has mild Autism too. I have seen the happiness on the faces of the children I taught, when they had contact with farm animals . They petting of the bunnies is soothing for them.

I have lots to learn and experience as I move forward. I have not raised chickens before, or composted, all new stuff.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's great you can do something you love for a living. :)

Animals have a way of soothing the soul and everyone can benefit from them. I'm glad you have been able to move to a place where you can have some to help the Special Needs children. Your daughter is lucky to have you for a parent. My SIL is a Special Needs teacher and gets so frustrated at some of the parents and their lack of interest/roll they take in their child's life.

farmgirl68

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty:
I too teach Special Needs Kids in public schools and I agree, paarents need to be more involved in their childs live and education.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
farmgirl68 said:
Farmer Kitty:
I too teach Special Needs Kids in public schools and I agree, paarents need to be more involved in their childs live and education.
It is so sad, I see the same problem in the regular classrooms with my oldest daughter. But, the special needs children need their parents involvement even more and unfortunately, not all are there.