1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. To geld or not to geld? That is the question
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

New to BYH

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mraya, May 12, 2017.

1. May 12, 2017
    Mraya

Mraya Chillin' with the herd

Hello,

I am new here from BYC where I am also new there.

I have 6 chicks, 4 cats, 3 dogs a husband and will be getting a pig at the end of the month.

Glad to be here I have so many questions.

Thanks Mraya

Devonviolet likes this.
  2. May 12, 2017
    DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz Loving the herd life

Welcome over!!
    What kind of pig??
    Dont forget we all love pictures!!

3. May 12, 2017
    Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Loving the herd life

Welcome to BYH!

4. May 12, 2017
    samssimonsays

samssimonsays Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres

somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
  5. May 12, 2017
    norseofcourse

norseofcourse Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Welcome from Ohio! Just one pig, or can you get two so it's not lonely?

6. May 12, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE Texas! Congrats on getting your future BACONNNnnn!! :drool We have quite a few folks here who are into raising pigs. I had planned to but my pig flew away while I was transporting her home :( Long story... anyway, I haven't gotten replacement(s) yet but it is planned. You really should get at least 2, they're very social animals and a single pig could become very destructive from what I've come to understand. Hope you'll share some pics when you get a chance.

You said you have a lot of questions... Please put at least your general location in your profile. When you ask for help, knowing where you are will have a huge bearing on any advice presented. What works here in TX might not be such a good idea in Michigan for instance. Anyway, browse around and make yourself at home!

Devonviolet likes this.
  7. May 14, 2017
    DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Loving the herd life

Welcome to BYH!!! What kind of dogs?

8. May 19, 2017
    Mraya

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am in North Carolina.

One dog Loki is a Rotti/German shep the other is a Zoe is a Rotti/Bel shep both 3 yrs old and the 3rd and oldest is Hailey about 8ys she is a MinPin/ Jack Russell.

I have never raised a pig before it is part Asian pig part ? I am getting it from a friend his sow surprised him with 6 piglets. He called it a mini pig. At over 200 lbs how mini is that. I know lots of people don't think of these pigs a food but to me a pig is a pig. I thought about getting two but being new to this I didn't want to push my luck. I am hoping that the pig will get along with the dogs. My dog Zoe is very protective of the chicks she likes to spend time with them and even keep the other dogs away from them. I have about an acre of fenced in yard the pig can graze in during the day and a 16 x 16 pen for it at night. Someone would be watching it at all times when it is out.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks Mraya

9. May 19, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Pigs are very intelligent, and playful, are very strong, and have a memory that's better than an elephants... They are also very social animals so they need to interact with another pig or another animal, to keep from going nuts. They can be very friendly and "dog like" and if your dogs are friendly they should get along fine. Make sure you have some toys for it to play with... balls and such. As I said, they are strong, you'll need to make sure your fencing is up to the task of keeping it in. As for the memory, if you ever hurt it or are mean to it, it WILL remember and they can do tremendous damage to you if they want to. Hope you'll share some pics.

Devonviolet likes this.
  10. May 21, 2017
    Mraya

Hello Laterstarter, I am also a late starter.
    Thank you for your advice. I don't believe in hitting or even yelling at at animal I don't think it will do any good. I am not very computer savy but as soon as I can I will sent pics. I am having a hard time with fencing I would like the pen to be his safe place where he can come and go as he like and be safe at the end of the day when we all turn in, is this a dream I intend to spend a lot of time with him and the other animals all together and I am hopping it will work out. Do you have any ideas on this. I like the like the idea of giving him balls to play with any thing else? I don't want him to be in a pen all day I would like him to interact with us in a positive way. Do you have any other ideas or tips you can give me?
    Thanks Mraya