New to calf raising....HELP!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never weighed the milk replacer. I use the cup provided and give a full cup per 2 qt bottle. I have never given a "watered down" formula.... I will give less; like a 1/2 bottle instead of a full bottle, but have never made it less strong.....Yes, if her manure looks normal, give her a full measure of replacer. I have never measured/weighed the milk replacer. Nothing wrong with being more exacting, but I am not. Like a cook that uses a pinch or dash or a handful.....a full cup, sometimes more heaped than other....
Go ahead and mix it full strength.

Have a couple of heifers that like to stand in the bunk in the barn......PITA..... like they HAVE to stand in it to eat it....GRRRR :barnie :barnie:he:he:he

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
When anything like the milk replacer says to feed less, they mean Quantity.... not Strength..... so now you know. I fully understand how someone that has never done something, the instructions could be confusing. People that wrote the label never thought of someone who had never done it and wouldn't know the difference in amount of liquid, or dilution factor.
She will be very happy to get a full bottle full strength. She will fill out quicker now that she is not scouring and with the increased "solids" in the milk.

Stick around with us. We are a pretty good group.

Kettle Creek Cattle

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep, got it now! She was extremely grateful for her "full strength" bottle tonight haha
20201211_195154.jpg

Madhouse Pullet

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She is doing MUCH better today! I got home from work this morning and went right up to the barn to check on her. Fearing the worst, I slowly opened the top half of the door only to find her standing there all bright eyed and perky as if to say "feed me now!"
She took her bottle no problem. I gave her another dose of the b12 gel, one to keep her hungry and two, it has probiotics in it to help offset the antibiotic regimen she was just on. Her poop is definitely back to normal.
I now have another question. How slowly should I ramp up the amount of milk powder she gets daily? Surely, 8oz in 2 quarts of water ×2 daily isn't enough for her is it?
Thanks for all your help too by the way. It's nice to see there are still good people out there, in my line of work I rarely ever get to see that!!
Anyway, as requested here are a few pictures from around my little farm
View attachment 79530View attachment 79531View attachment 79532View attachment 79533View attachment 79534View attachment 79535
Oh my goodness they are soooooooo cute!!!!! :love

Picture_20201122_135616424.jpg