New to donkeys

2goatgal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
May I have some "experienced" opinions on feeding/managing 2 standard donkeys on 2 acres of Bahia in central FL between Orlando & Ocala. The grass is just starting it's growth cycle and they have been getting a flake of coastal at night and just 4 oz 2xday of grain & balancer mixed. Keep them in at night? Free range? Stop the hay? Putting them on a sand lot is not an option, so please spare me the arid desert donkey spiel. I've read it all. I'd appreciate an opinion from someone that has healthy donkeys in this zone. Thanks! Also, the Jenny's ligaments are so loose, you can hear and watch most of her joints pop and clunk. I've never seen anything like it, neither has an equine vet friend (not a donkey expert). She's a big girl, 5 years, possibly some mammoth blood...lousy nutrition or exercise? She's a puzzlement.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
May I have some "experienced" opinions on feeding/managing 2 standard donkeys on 2 acres of Bahia in central FL between Orlando & Ocala. The grass is just starting it's growth cycle and they have been getting a flake of coastal at night and just 4 oz 2xday of grain & balancer mixed. Keep them in at night? Free range? Stop the hay? Putting them on a sand lot is not an option, so please spare me the arid desert donkey spiel. I've read it all. I'd appreciate an opinion from someone that has healthy donkeys in this zone. Thanks! Also, the Jenny's ligaments are so loose, you can hear and watch most of her joints pop and clunk. I've never seen anything like it, neither has an equine vet friend (not a donkey expert). She's a big girl, 5 years, possibly some mammoth blood...lousy nutrition or exercise? She's a puzzlement.
Nope, never had donkeys, and never lived in Florida.

But I was born and raised in Texas. We had horses there. I had horses for maybe 10 years up here in Alaska....

So... not quite what you were looking for.. but here are my 2 cents:

Always feel them up. See how they are doing from day to day. Too fat, too thin, etc. And adjust feed accordingly.

With super lush growth I would bring out a portable electric fence and only give them access to a small area. Slowly increase the area that they have access to.

Too much lush green too fast isn't good.

with lush green growth I would feed zero grain.

A pellet balancer something, small handful every night, is a great way to look them over well and keep them tame.

I never locked up horses, in Texas or Alaska.