New to forum

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with you. Draw blood and test. At least that will pinpoint or delete those issues.

What your vet did treated several possible things, including minengial worms. I asked about bald spots as they can appear with those....also many other issues. It's so frustrating when you can't solve the problem! We understand and as you see by replies, have most all been there at some point! It's such a matter of how possible one over another sickness could it be.

Personally, I see treatment for everything I'd suspect. You may just be in a holding pattern to allow her body to recover and adjust....won't be a week, either. I know how suffering it is for you. Hope you've separated those twins to wean! It takes far more stress on the goats body to make milk than to grow those fetus. Huge draw on their body processes. While I don't see that as her problem cause, it does interfere with her own body regenerating. There's a reason a doe gets heavily feed in a milk line.

I keep a feed on hand, Enrich by Purina. Expensive but a high powered complex of protein, vit/min. You only use a small amount...like 1/4 to 1/2 cup, topdressed to feed. Can be fed alone. High copper, too. It is not a cure but a great assist and easy to use, for animals under stress like this. Actually originated as horse supplement. Since they may be "off feed" small amount of concentrate usually is consumed, even if not a full feed amount. Also, feed her in own pan to be sure she's getting her share...goats will eat their's and another's share given the chance ;) Little piggish!

Please let us know how Sadie Rose comes along. We all learn and we do care!

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would order them all if you are sending in blood samples anyhow. Brucellosis is in the US just not common, if you or anyone else plans to drink raw milk get them tested. If everything comes back negative you know you have a clean herd, if not...you know what you are dealing with.
Ok. Thank you. Now, to learn how to draw blood. Yuck!
I agree with you. Draw blood and test. At least that will pinpoint or delete those issues.

What your vet did treated several possible things, including minengial worms. I asked about bald spots as they can appear with those....also many other issues. It's so frustrating when you can't solve the problem! We understand and as you see by replies, have most all been there at some point! It's such a matter of how possible one over another sickness could it be.

Personally, I see treatment for everything I'd suspect. You may just be in a holding pattern to allow her body to recover and adjust....won't be a week, either. I know how suffering it is for you. Hope you've separated those twins to wean! It takes far more stress on the goats body to make milk than to grow those fetus. Huge draw on their body processes. While I don't see that as her problem cause, it does interfere with her own body regenerating. There's a reason a doe gets heavily feed in a milk line.

I keep a feed on hand, Enrich by Purina. Expensive but a high powered complex of protein, vit/min. You only use a small amount...like 1/4 to 1/2 cup, topdressed to feed. Can be fed alone. High copper, too. It is not a cure but a great assist and easy to use, for animals under stress like this. Actually originated as horse supplement. Since they may be "off feed" small amount of concentrate usually is consumed, even if not a full feed amount. Also, feed her in own pan to be sure she's getting her share...goats will eat their's and another's share given the chance ;) Little piggish!

Please let us know how Sadie Rose comes along. We all learn and we do care!
I will let you all know how this situation progresses. I feed them separately because yes, they are piggies. Thanks for the advice.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok. Thank you. Now, to learn how to draw blood. Yuck!
You tube videos work great.

We always had 2 people for blood draws...

1 holds, the other draws...

And we didn't shave... but in some videos they shave... I think so you can visualize better. The first time around suggest you just sit there and spend 20 minutes feeling the goat neck... figuring out what you are touching, and what is where...

And then take the blood.

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wanted to give an update on Sadie Rose and 8 month old her doe kid. Sadie Rose seems fine other than the strange gait in her back legs, but her doe kid is not doing so well. Yesterday morning I gave all 5 goats the recommended dosage of Vitamin B complex, selenium, and a probiotic. In the evening I gave everyone the recommended dosage of Safeguard, except the doe kid and I did the recommendation for meningeal worm treatment, along with Ivermectin. I spend a lot of time with them yesterday evening. The doe kid (8 months old) really didn't act right. Seemed a little depressed and uninterested in the food. She didn't seem to eat as well as normal. Now this morning everyone is laying down resting at the barn except her. She acts like she wants to lay down beside her momma with the other twin but doesn't. She is the only one standing. She doesn't seem bloated. I'm so concerned I will loose her over this 4th of July weekend.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Keep the faith! If the kid is drinking, she can go with less food for a few days. Sometime they will have an upset stomach, even after deworming for instance. So keep an eye on her, maybe give a little honey to her to increase sugar/ energy to her system, like you having a candy bar. It helps awaken the brain. Hay or grass will be good with less grains eaten...

Be careful with selenium. Takes very little and is one thing that can cause problems if overdosed. B vit helps make them hungry.

You're doing a great job! It's so hard to wait for the recovery because we want "now".

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love this forum and the great people on it. All the help, sharing of ideas and truly caring is priceless. @Deecarter i wish the best for your goats.

Personally I have benefited from the help and advice from members here. Members have celebrated with me and commiserated with me on my grief when I lost a lamb or ewe. BYH is the best!

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Keep the faith! If the kid is drinking, she can go with less food for a few days. Sometime they will have an upset stomach, even after deworming for instance. So keep an eye on her, maybe give a little honey to her to increase sugar/ energy to her system, like you having a candy bar. It helps awaken the brain. Hay or grass will be good with less grains eaten...

Be careful with selenium. Takes very little and is one thing that can cause problems if overdosed. B vit helps make them hungry.

You're doing a great job! It's so hard to wait for the recovery because we want "now".
Thanks for the encouragement. She is laying down now. Maybe I read too much into that. I spent a lot of time with them this morning just observing. I took a video. Can I send it here? Last week when this started, I noticed a small skinned place on her back near the hip bones but it has healed. The next day I noticed her head had a boo boo.where her horn buds were. I’ll post a picture of that. She acts off balance and weak in all 4 legs now and sort of like she’s dizzy. Should I do the full 5 day treatment for menigiel worms? I am thinking she may have had an injury from serious head butting. Maybe something totally separate than her momma, Sadie Rose. I’m thinking Sadie Rose has permanent injury from the terrible parasite problems a few months back. She acts normal except her gait.

Attachments

• 8FC22CDE-2DFE-44A5-A0FD-D05EA82A7454.jpeg
    8FC22CDE-2DFE-44A5-A0FD-D05EA82A7454.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 77
  • B6E7E9F1-9D10-4F4C-8868-AB5B78A53554.jpeg
    B6E7E9F1-9D10-4F4C-8868-AB5B78A53554.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 71

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Put topical meds on the raw spot. It will heal. If kid isnt eating much, she may surely feel weak. While Sadie may have nerve damage, it will take more time to heal than a cut, for instance. She is also somewhat weak from all these experiences. Increase her feed slightly every few days. So wean the kids and have patience. I believe she will improve.

Goats don't generally put off dying....they do it. She's been hanging on several months. That girl wants to stay around! I'm betting on you both.

Last edited:

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love this forum and the great people on it. All the help, sharing of ideas and truly caring is priceless. @Deecarter i wish the best for your goats.

Personally I have benefited from the help and advice from members here. Members have celebrated with me and commiserated with me on my grief when I lost a lamb or ewe. BYH is the best!
Yes! I'm finding that out. It's just awesome to find people I can talk to and learn from.