New to forum

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have no idea what medication would be in the feed, unless it is something against... is it E. Coli???

I live in no-where Alaska... so NO feed choice.

There is one choice for "milk goat pellets" so that is what I got.

The vitamin gels don't taste bad, so usually it wasn't hard to get them to eat them.

But yes, if you are in a low selenium area the gel every month is needed in addition to the loose minerals. I even know some people who do the gel every month AND give them a selenium shot shortly before kidding.

Up here sunlight is... well.... lacking.... which is why I added the vitamin D gel.

The pro-biotic gel and a multi B gel were for if ever a doe or kid looked off. Pro-biotics to help the intestines and the multi-b can help with getting them interested in eating. I never needed them, but at times would give them around kidding just as a help.

The calcium gel and powder was the same...just to make sure that there wouldn't be an issue. Even with zero issues giving calcium about a week or less before kidding will help reduce the chance of problems.

As to a hay rack... keep experimenting.

I used a pallet up against the wall and then tightly stapled a fishnet on the pallet.

The combo of fishnet and pallet made the holes small enough to reduce waste. I did check every day though to make sure it was still safe. I was sure one of those goats would pull off some net and get tangled.... it was ok though, so yeah.
Thank you so much. All this is very helpful. I watch some videos on Alaska. It’s all very interesting to me. Everything I’ve read about selenium gel makes me nervous because they say you can give them too much. I’m talking to our vet tomorrow and I’m going to ask him about that because I think it may be part of the problem.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have fescue, a lot of clover and some weeds in the pasture and then we have woods we’re a lot of brush is. I would have to drive about 4 hours for peanut hay so I’ll look for a mix with orchard grass or settle for Bermuda. I feed them a molasses grain that is 16% protein. Do I still need the alfalfa pellets?

That's a lot to remember. Thank you for all that info. I live in Georgia so worms are a serious problem, here, I think. We are low in selenium here too, but I thought the free choice minerals and supplemental grain would be enough to make up for any deficiencies in that, copper and other minerals. I remember when I bought these two late last summer the seller said she gave a selenium supplement once a month in the gel form. She also gave them medicated feed when they were dry. I don't know what's in the medicated feed and I can't find it anywhere. I know what you mean about the wasting of hay. I use apples or bananas to give them some oral medication because they love those and I can hide the meds in there and they gobble it down. It's just so much easier than wrestling with them. I've had them accidentally drop an apple slice on the ground and they won't eat it. I have metal horse racks in the barn where I put their hay and they waste more than they eat and once it's on the floor, they won't eat it, and people think goats will eat anything.

We live in michigan so we make and feed first cut grass hay year round.

In late fall when we are flushing our herd we give them 2-3 round bales of second cut grass hay or 1st cut alfalfa mix, to up calories and bulk them for winter/babies. This is also the same time of year they get 16% sweet feed. They are fed this higher calories diet the last 2 weeks in september and first 2 weeks in october then the buck/rams goes in to jump everyone. Then they go on regular 1st cut all they can each free choice 24/7 until january.

For febuary and march they get 20% sweet feed and 1st cut grass hay all they can eat on the hay. The system is not foolproof and we messed up this year because we had two cows with our sheep for the first time ever and didnt realize how much grain they eat.

The medicated feed is at tractor supply or most feed places. Medicated feed is for treating cocci.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dumor-sheep-goat-dx-medicated-feed-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...wer-16-medicated-goat-feed-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...h-16-goat-grow-finish-18dq-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005
The feed will usually say medicated on the bag, or have DQ or DX in the name. The actual drug in the feed is called Decoquinate. They make medicated feed for most any livestock.

You can give selenium paste once a month or just give the adults a shot of Bo-Se once a year and any offsrping a shot at birth. That covers most people as far as I know, you can get Bo-Se from your vet. The gel selenium is super low dose so isnt always enough depending how low you are on selenium in your area.

We give copper bolus once a year to our goats and free choice loose minerals. Goats will eat lots of forage but will complain about being hungry the entire time they have forage to eat so just easier to have hay out to, for surety they are getting enough.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn’t know that.
Pretty sure they ment locally grown. Because in most cases locally grown doesnt have additives like commercial goat grain does. Our local feed mill makes mill brand grains/feeds and does add in concentrate mixes which have selenium, copper, etc. Things like shell/cracked corn, scratch grains, oats, barley, etc have nothing added.

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pretty sure they ment locally grown. Because in most cases locally grown doesnt have additives like commercial goat grain does. Our local feed mill makes mill brand grains/feeds and does add in concentrate mixes which have selenium, copper, etc. Things like shell/cracked corn, scratch grains, oats, barley, etc have nothing added.
Thanks for that clarification. I guess I should read the label on my sweet feed bag, right?

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We live in michigan so we make and feed first cut grass hay year round.

In late fall when we are flushing our herd we give them 2-3 round bales of second cut grass hay or 1st cut alfalfa mix, to up calories and bulk them for winter/babies. This is also the same time of year they get 16% sweet feed. They are fed this higher calories diet the last 2 weeks in september and first 2 weeks in october then the buck/rams goes in to jump everyone. Then they go on regular 1st cut all they can each free choice 24/7 until january.

For febuary and march they get 20% sweet feed and 1st cut grass hay all they can eat on the hay. The system is not foolproof and we messed up this year because we had two cows with our sheep for the first time ever and didnt realize how much grain they eat.

The medicated feed is at tractor supply or most feed places. Medicated feed is for treating cocci.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dumor-sheep-goat-dx-medicated-feed-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...wer-16-medicated-goat-feed-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...h-16-goat-grow-finish-18dq-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005
The feed will usually say medicated on the bag, or have DQ or DX in the name. The actual drug in the feed is called Decoquinate. They make medicated feed for most any livestock.

You can give selenium paste once a month or just give the adults a shot of Bo-Se once a year and any offsrping a shot at birth. That covers most people as far as I know, you can get Bo-Se from your vet. The gel selenium is super low dose so isnt always enough depending how low you are on selenium in your area.

We give copper bolus once a year to our goats and free choice loose minerals. Goats will eat lots of forage but will complain about being hungry the entire time they have forage to eat so just easier to have hay out to, for surety they are getting enough.
The shot once a year sounds more practical. I'll check with the vet. I know the paste form would be cheaper. I will check to see how low on selenium we are here. The selenium gel tube says to use it only if it is the only source available, so it scares me to use it. I have free choice loose minerals out, but they don't eat it. They nibbled at first then it's just sit there. Do you have to get the copper bolus from the vet too? Can you overdose them on copper?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes... locally grown grain, as in pure straight grain, will be deficient if your area is deficient.

Pellets and other manufactured feeds should have all kinds of vitamins and minerals added.

As to overdosing with Selenium... I guess I never read the warning labels. :idunno

I always just guessed as to goat weight, dosed the first of every month, and no problems.

Up here there must be zero copper and selenium because I have never heard of anyone overdosing on either.

I only had a vet out once to look them over, and tell me exact worming dosages and best meds for the local worms.

All of the goat stuff I bought online or local, not through the vet.

I bought "adult goat" size copper pills and "kid goat" size pills for the kids and my one small goat. I aimed for a copper pill every 6 months, but on occasion they would start to show signs of copper deficiency sooner, and I would then dose them.

As to the loose minerals. There are MANY kinds and some are tastier than others. I would suggest trying a different brand.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, and it is possible to overdose on copper, but if you know your area is low on copper, it is unlikely that you will overdose.

"Copper is essential in formation of red blood cells, hair pigmentation, connective tissue and enzymes. It is also important in normal immune system function and nerve conduction. Deficiency symptoms include anemia, bleached looking and rough hair coat, diarrhea and weight loss. Young goats may experience progressive incoordination and paralysis, especially in the rear legs. High dietary molybdenum can depress absorption of copper and cause a deficiency. There should be at least four times as much copper as molybdenum in the diet."

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The shot once a year sounds more practical. I'll check with the vet. I know the paste form would be cheaper. I will check to see how low on selenium we are here. The selenium gel tube says to use it only if it is the only source available, so it scares me to use it. I have free choice loose minerals out, but they don't eat it. They nibbled at first then it's just sit there. Do you have to get the copper bolus from the vet too? Can you overdose them on copper
We buy our copper bolus online, just search copper bolus goat or something similar and you will see them. We have ultracruz brand. Also do you see signs your goats are low on copper? If you are feeding a commercial goat feed it should have the proper amount of copper in it.

Actually overdosing with the shot is easier then the gel, however if you talk to your vet to get Bo-Se they can give you a safe one time yearly dose.

Agreed on the loose minerals try another brand. We use ADM loose minerals but that was the 3rd loose mineral we had to try before we found one they liked enough to actually eat it on a sort of regular basis. Also if your feed is well balanced they may just not need much loose mineral.

Latest posts