New to forum

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:ep:th
Your vet is severely over-charging. Can you get a local dairy goat person near you's opinion on your doe? Or to help you draw blood for tests which you can send in yourself? Do you have a goat FB group you could pull an in person mentor from? Maybe even the herdkeeper you bought her from? Seeing her in person will be invaluable.

Personally in your situation I'd fee free choice normal grass hay and maybe work up to a quart of pellets for this doe but start with just a cup (later if you want to add fat, calf manna pellets mixed 1:1 with BOSS are my current secret sauce). I use this brand of pellets. I went incognito and found it in your area. Anyone in milk can work up to a similar amount if you want to ration it.
View attachment 86701

I'm still concerned you're not just dealing with calcium deficiency here, and that you need experienced, in person help, and Dr. Expensive Google/Guessing it DVM isn't making the cut. If you can't find a local, in person friend, can you put a youtube video of her walking or standing displaying the behavior? Despite your vet's behavior, (as I'm sure you know and find maddening) this might be an emergency to some degree.

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes! My vet is expensive and I'm ditching him. I can't afford him. It was supposed to be a $35 charge for the consultation and I ended up paying $122.00 ($50.00 for the consult and the rest on an antibiotic and steroid, which I don't believe helped). He is guessing too at possible Thiamin deficiency, Listeriosis or CAE. He rushed me through too. I guess there's too much money to be made in cats and dogs. I'm not on face book and I have a little bit of a weird situation where I live. We are 25 miles west of Atlanta, so really we live in Metro Atlanta so not many goat people here. We have 6 1/2 acres tucked away and sort of secluded. My sister lives in the same county, just farther west and has 2 goats but she doesn't know what is wrong with them, so I don't really have anyone that I can ask. I had the number of the person that sold them to me, but I had to change phones and lost her number. I do have a youtube channel that I created for my grandkids. They just love to watch the videos I take of them. I have uploaded 2 videos. One is when her symptoms were pronounced and one from today which shows her improvement. I also gave a brief time line of the situation. I bought a mineral block at Tractor Supply yesterday and put it in an old milk crate and I've seen them nibble on it, so that might work for them better than than loose minerals I have out. I am also adding a handful of alfalfa pellets to their feed twice a day, now and looking for some decent hay to supplement. I didn't know I could just feed the alfalfa pellets in their feed. The bag says they need like 4 lbs a day of that, but I guess that's if they don't have free choice hay. I know! I know! I feel stupid at this point, but I really do think I'm getting it. Here's the link to my youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ3IUKYvyBLVQ3Y6nDnsoOw

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Deecarter ,I just reread everything. If they are on pasture they do not need hay. That IS hay. If you want to up this doe's calcium feed her some pellets on the stand, as much as she will take. If you can get someone to write you an rx for Bose without charging you a car, maybe give her a dose. Otherwise, maybe find a tube of replamin and start giving weekly doses and pray (replamin takes a lot more time than Bose to help). The last thing is re-recommend is finding a goat mentor to look at her. This is important because we can not see her nor do we know exactly what afflicts goats in your area. Have them also help you take blood to test her for CAE, cl, and Johnes then send it with a frozen sponge (over night) to either waddl or ubrl. Perhaps send a fecal sample to meadow mist lab as well. All this should cost less than a vet visit for you. This is the best you can do barring lab work, and that doesn't usually tell you much you can do anything about and your vet seems like they are not the one to do it and will definitely bill you a car for it.

Manna pro goat mineral isn't a great mineral, and it is expensive, but it is what a lot of people have access to. See if you can scout around for something better. This is not the emergency though.
Ok. I stopped feeding hay when everything greened up here, and I got to thinking that was a big mistake. I can buy hay from local farmers if I go further west from me and it isn't expensive like Tractor Supply. I found a mineral block at Tractor Supply yesterday and put it in an old milk crate and they've been nibbling on it, so maybe I've found something they like. I have ordered a blood draw kit and when it arrives, I will get tests for CAE, CL and Johne's and will send a fecal sample to meadow mist lab too. I have uploaded 2 videos and a brief time line of what has been going on. I looked back at my notes and the very end of December Jasmine's mom (Sadie Rose) started acting the same as Jasmine did, but I didn't get Sadie Rose treated fast enough. I jumped on it with Jasmine and she is doing better...much better. Would you please look at the videos and tell me what you think? Here's my youtube link.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ3IUKYvyBLVQ3Y6nDnsoOw
Thank you so much.

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Your goat mentor may have access to a vial of Bose, btw, and may be able to help you out on that as well. You only need like 1 to 2.5 cc of it for a dose if memory serves. (They will know, I forget.) They may also know of a better vet if there is one.
I know I can order it online from Valley Vet. If I inject her with this, will I cause her to have too much?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
My kids love their videos too.
First thing that comes to mind is, what do their hind feet look like? Did they get slammed or butted? Beyond that, you need to run that by someone with direct experience with meningeal worm, a medical professional would be really nice. Goat Vet Corner on FB is the best resource I can think of right now for you. They can be slow, but only approved veterinarians can comment. They are especially good for remote/isolated people with no vet. REAL free medical advice.
Here is the link.
I'm tempted to put the link to the video up myself for you, but they may ask you questions that I don't know the answer to.

I know I can order it online from Valley Vet. If I inject her with this, will I cause her to have too much?

The dose for bose is very small. It's 2.5cc/100lbs subcutaneously. You can underdose her and just give 2.5cc if you don't know her weight and/or want to feel safe. I needed an Rx to get mine.

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For the question on copper.....

They probly need it based on your elements table you posted. Look at your goats do they have fish tails, bald patches on their face(bridge of the nose or around eyes, rust color on legs and under belly, lack of shedding their winter coat, trouble with fertility, problems with internal parasites after multi treatments that should work for your area?

I have met more then one goat who I thought was rust colored or mostly rust colored....turns out they were actually suppose to be black or dark brown or some other color. You can buy the copper bolus online, they are not cheap but with only 5 goats you have a 2-4yr supply from one purchase, depending on if you need to bolus every 6 months or every 12 months.
If the mineral block I have out there now works, do I still need the copper bolus? Can I overdose them on that?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can't get the bose and you want to treat for selenium deficiency still, I believe there is a replamin protocol where you give 5 cc (one metal gun dose), every day for 5 days, then weekly after that. The oral route is slower, less absorbed. You can get the small tube of replamin, or the big tube and the gun (saves money). Here are the links.
Little tube no gun needed.

Big Tube
Gun

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My kids love their videos too.
First thing that comes to mind is, what do their hind feet look like? Did they get slammed or butted? Beyond that, you need to run that by someone with direct experience with meningeal worm, a medical professional would be really nice. Goat Vet Corner on FB is the best resource I can think of right now for you. They can be slow, but only approved veterinarians can comment. They are especially good for remote/isolated people with no vet. REAL free medical advice.
Here is the link.
I'm tempted to put the link to the video up myself for you, but they may ask you questions that I don't know the answer to.

The dose for bose is very small. It's 2.5cc/100lbs subcutaneously. You can underdose her and just give 2.5cc if you don't know her weight and/or want to feel safe. I needed an Rx to get mine.
Valley Vet on line. Copasure Bolus for Goats I don't think you have to have a prescription. I don't have face book, but our daughter does. Maybe I can get her to upload it. Did you watch it? If so, what do you think?

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'd still give them a bolus.
Ok. I will do that. I'm nervous about overdoing it on some of this stuff. Will it harm her if she doesn't really need it? Did you watch the youtube video of her? Please let me know what you think.