New to Goats and Pen STINKS!

AkTomboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
CrownofThornsNDGoats said:
My girls live in a 12x12 pen with a 10x4 house. During the winter I clean out the house twice a month, and during the summer I clean out the pen once a month. It's works out really well, I'm super picky about the smell of animals and all I use is wood shavings that we get for $25 a truckload.
Wow where do you get it by the truck load! I have been stuck buying it by the $30 bale at AK Feed for years for my chickens. The last time I called for shavings in Fbx no one would let me get a whole truck load at a time. Thanks for the info if you dont mind sharing

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When hubby has work on the mill then I have all I want, but when there isn't any work, we've gotten it from Northland I think? I'll ask hubs and double check. Although someone told me a while back that when she had gone to get some they had just sold their whole pile to the wood pellet factory and she was only able to get a few bags. Hopefully they only do that when it builds up and they don't make a habit of regularly doing that. :) Oh and they load it up for you, that's REAL nice! :D

AkTomboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That was the problem I was having when looking for shavings most places seem to be selling them to the new pellet plant...dag nab it

iamcuriositycat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I live in NC with only two ND wethers, and I haven't really had a stink issue. I use a deep litter--just add straw to their floor when it starts to look wet or poopy. Clean it out a couple times a year and use it as mulch on flower beds and fruit trees.

Basically, it works like compost--you add enough "browns" (carbon-rich material) to the nitrogen-rich manure, and there's very little to no odor. And in the end, compost is exactly what you get.

Good luck with yours! How's the weather down there? We're snowed in. :)

bettybohemian

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to goats but have chickens ducks rabbits. I live in the low desert in so Cal so my substrate. Is sand. For everyone. No odor. That must be why? I have straw on top of the sand in the goat house and in the nesting boxes for the other critters

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Emmetts Dairy said:
I would first recomend cleaning out what you can. Then I recomend putting a layer of sand mixed with your soil so the wet will drain a little better for you. Then mix some Dolomitic Lime. That will neutralize that anmonia smell. You can get that at TSC or any garden center really. Lowes, Homedepot etc..

You want to clean that out because breathing that is not good for them at all. Then on top I would put a layer of Straw down. In the winter in NH we have a thick layer of staw down that I will fluff and add to keep clean. But I have to say with the sand and the lime...we have no issues..thankfully!!! I do muck a bit of the overly saturated areas throughout the winter if needed...but it makes it very easy!!! Put your cleaning in a wheelbarrel and add it to your compost!! You will have happy gardens next year!

I would be careful what you are putting for deoderizers. Make sure its okay for livestock. But the Dolomitic Lime is cheap enough for 50lbs and it works!!

I would make sure all feed hay is in a manger and not on the ground. You never want goats to eat hay off the ground! They will eat more and be healthier if you get it in a manger. Ours is homemade...dos'nt have to be anything fancy..just off the ground!

Clean pens makes happy and healthy animals!!! Good luck!!!
We hadn't thought or read about using the dolomitic lime before, but we were already thinking of doing the compost type bedding areas. Obviously AFTER we treat all the critters and entire barn with the Python Dust. :barnie :th

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm afraid I might not be too much help. I like things neat and clean too, but don't have much of an odor problem. I have more than twice the space needed for the number of goats, so its not an issue... however, I did just have to bring a sick goat indoors for a few days. I put her pen on the concrete floor in the basement with newspaper covered in a thick layer of straw. By the next morning the stink was pretty bad! I removed the newspaper and put her pen over the floor drain in the cellar. I put just a thick layer of straw down. It worked like a charm! No smell at all! So I conclude that increasing drainage and straw or waste hay might help the situation.

I would look into that peanut hay too as someone else suggested. There might be something to that? I know nothing about peanut hay myself.

Babushka Blue

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Regarding the Dolomitic Lime... are you saying that it needs to be cleaned back out after it is put down?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH @Babushka Blue from NE TX! So glad you joined us. The thread you posted to was last posted to over 7 years ago. I hope you'll consider taking a minute to visit the new member's thread and introduce yourself so folks can welcome you properly. https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/ There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!