New to goats and SO excited!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
My husband and I have been waiting three long years, to move to Texas (from Pennsylvania - to be closer to our daughter), so we could buy a piece of land and raise our own food - organic meat, eggs, vegetables and medicinal herbs.

It took us five months to find the right piece of land with a darling 2 year old house on five acres. Four of those acres are still densely wooded, so our first order of business is to put up perimeter fencing, so we can buy some Boer goats, to help us clear the underbrush - a 1/2 acre at a time.

We have already bought our first LGD puppy, a Maremma, which we will pick up in mid Feb., at 16 weeks, after she has spent time learning from her working mom. Our second one will likely come from a different Dam, but from the same breeder, this coming Summer. The Sire was imported from Italy, and comes from champion stock.

Our puppy will need a job to do when she arrives on our farm, so we are planning to buy some laying hens, to provide eggs until we can buy chicks in the Spring.

Next we will buy three yearling Does, from a Boer goat breeder we visited this week. Our plan is to raise the Boers, so we can eventually breed them and sell goat meat locally. I also want to learn to make artisanal goat cheese (to sell), so we would also like to get three Nigerian Dwarf goats, this coming Summer, because of the exceptionally high butterfat in their milk.

We have been doing a lot of research, and are now ready to put it into practice. We have been on this earth long enough to know that we don't know what we don't know, and we have a LOT to learn. We are so excited to have found Backyard Herds! I have been reading some of the threads and am impressed with the wealth of knowledge here. A huge thanks to the administrators, for making this possible!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:) Sounds Tempting, but we will have way to much going on this Spring, to take a road trip. Maybe one day, my son could stop by your place, on his way here, and bring a kid or 2 with him. :)

Latest posts