New to Goats - few questions

Tehwrd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello!

We moved in July to a wonderful property that we are renting. Previous renters had basically trashed the place. We have the human dwelling habitable and are now working on the barn. We will be looking to get some milk goats in late February/early March. We are,at least for this year looking only to get 2-3 goats to provide some milk for our family. My daughter REALLY wants to raise a Nigerian Dwarf baby, which I am okay with, but I am also feeling like it might be helpful to us as newbie goat milkers, to have a doe or 2 who are experienced milkers. We have been purchasing raw cows milk for quite some time both Guernsey and Dutch Belted. My family is looking at me a little sideways about goat milk. Is there a breed or cross that would be recommended for ease of milking, as well as tasting closest to cows milk? I'm assuming already that feeding programs, hygiene while milking, and getting a quick chill are all important to the flavor of goats milk. My kids suggested trying goat milk from the store, but I reminded them of the difference between store bought milk and the raw milk we get and effectively scrapped that idea. I am very curious about goat meat too and how it compares to beef/pork. We are already going with meat and egg laying chickens.

I would appreciate and suggestions, guidance, links, info, whatever you have time to throw at me regarding this endeavor. We are going for more self sufficiency and while pigs and cows are not options in the near future, we are hoping to start off with our goats, chickens, and gardens for now. Thank you all so much in advance!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lamancha or nubian for breed (make sure your goats are disease tested negative for all three big goat diseases especially for your starter stock). Look for milkable long teats and good udders with nice texture and orifice on prospective milkers. Dwarves, which I have too, don't milk much and have teeny, tiny teats most of the time that you have to milk a little differently. They are small, and a quart per goat as about average, up to a half gallon on one extreme or only two cups on the other. There's a difference between a 50 lbs goat and a 150 lbs goat. If buying a doe in milk, trying the milk first is a good idea if you can. Personally my family won't drink nigerian milk. It's too thick/rich/fatty for them. Lamancha, lamancha nubian cross, or nubian is their preference.

You've got it right on the good hygiene and quick chill. Also drinking it within a few days helps.

Goat meat tastes somewhere between lamb and beef than both (lamb is greasy and gamey, beef is course and a little bland, goat is perfect). I like it better. I wethered all our bucklings and took them to processing in the fall. Wonderful perk.

Fiasco farms is a good website to raid for starter info.

Basically goats need their secure, high quality fencing around plenty of room, second cutting grass or alfalfa hay in strong feeders, good shelter from rain, wind, and snow, and lots of fresh clean water. Worming/parasite control, mineral supplements, vaccinations, grain, and hoof trimming come in later.

I like my bucks, btw. Keeping a pair of boys is not as terrible as people make it out to be. Better for biosecurity and not shoving goats in the mini van.

Tehwrd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Lamancha or nubian for breed (make sure your goats are disease tested negative for all three big goat diseases especially for your starter stock). Look for milkable long teats and good udders with nice texture and orifice on prospective milkers. Dwarves, which I have too, don't milk much and have teeny, tiny teats most of the time that you have to milk a little differently. They are small, and a quart per goat as about average, up to a half gallon on one extreme or only two cups on the other. There's a difference between a 50 lbs goat and a 150 lbs goat. If buying a doe in milk, trying the milk first is a good idea if you can. Personally my family won't drink nigerian milk. It's too thick/rich/fatty for them. Lamancha, lamancha nubian cross, or nubian is their preference.

You've got it right on the good hygiene and quick chill. Also drinking it within a few days helps.

Goat meat tastes somewhere between lamb and beef than both (lamb is greasy and gamey, beef is course and a little bland, goat is perfect). I like it better. I wethered all our bucklings and took them to processing in the fall. Wonderful perk.

Fiasco farms is a good website to raid for starter info.

Basically goats need their secure, high quality fencing around plenty of room, second cutting grass or alfalfa hay in strong feeders, good shelter from rain, wind, and snow, and lots of fresh clean water. Worming/parasite control, mineral supplements, vaccinations, grain, and hoof trimming come in later.

I like my bucks, btw. Keeping a pair of boys is not as terrible as people make it out to be. Better for biosecurity and not shoving goats in the mini van.
Thank you so much for this information! This is very helpful. I didnt realize that wethering bucks from dairy goats yielded good meat. That would definitely be better than yet another breed! :)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
As @rachels.haven has pointed out, better to get larger breeds and already milking trained for starters. Nubians are good. I have those and Saanens, plus some cross of those two. Both breeds give good milk, a good amount and it's really tasty. The Saanens generally give more quantity and milk strong a little longer. Expect about 10 months of milk, although my Saanens tend to milk longer with good production. Good cheese from goat milk, there's also cream and butter if you want to have that. While the ND are cute, those tiny teats are a challenge! :)

I've not tried LaMancha but not a fan of Alpine, Toggenberg and Oberhalsi, personally.

Goats are herd animals and I'd suggest you get two who are already friends if possible. Just makes it easier on you until you get accustomed to goats. Easier on the goats, too.

mcjam

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would highly recommend that you buy a quality goat in milk, after having the seller teach you to milk it, and you get a TASTE of that particular
goat's milk to make sure that you like it. All dairy animals have their own unique flavor. Some milk will taste amazingly good, milk.fom.a.different animal will.make you gag. Don't go for bargain basement pricing...you get what you pay for...buy quality and you only cry once. A reputable breeder will be happy to take time with you. They are just as concerned that their animal gets a good home as you are in getting an animal that will fill your needs.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Buy a standard size milk goat. The dwarf breeds may be cute, but any milk goat you have to bend over to lead or work with is out for me. My back prefers to lead the goat by her collar while standing upright. And trying to milk teeny-tiny teats with just a couple fingers is difficult. A standard milker will give you about 3 pints to a gallon per day. Get two milers so you can dry one up and keep the other milking By breeding at different times, you will have household milk year round.

A second freshening doe is best if you can find one. Third and fourth freshening is ok as long as the udder is not lopsided or distorted which might signal some previous mastitis. Make sure the teats are comfortable to milk and have the owner show you how to milk. Make sure you like the way the goat milks and stands for you. Any bad behavior don't bother with the goat. Ask for milk records of how much the goat gave on her last lactation, kidding dates numbers of kids, etc. BE SURE TO DRINK SOME OF THE MIK BEFORE BYING ANY GOAT!!! Not all goat milk tastes the same. Even goats of the same breed can have different tasting milk.

We prefer Nubian and as a close second LaMancha milk. Never tried Saanen but don't like Alpine or Oberhasli and Toggenburg is just rank. :sick We had Toggs and had to drink Togg milk when we dried off the Nubians but we sold them quick. Nubian milk is considered the highest in butterfat.

You will need a mechanical separator to separate the cream, to make butter or ice cream. Strain and chill the milk immediately. Don't omit the straining since no matter how clean the milk looks in the ail, straining it will get out a lot of dust, etc. which can give the milk an off flavor. Storing it in glass containers gives the best flavor as does drinking the freshest milk first, the older milk can be used in cooking or to feed other animals.

Fresh cold goat milk is delicious, and if you have children who are sensitive to lactose, they can usually digest goat milk.

Palomino

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to have to be the odd one out here and say go for the Nigerians if you can find good lines. I had both Nigerians and Nubians for several years, as well as Lamanchas for a brief time. I found that the Nigerians were much easier to maintain. A milking stand brings them up to a good height for milking, hoof trimming, etc. and they can be trained to walk on leashes so you don't have to bend to lead them. Yes, the Nubians are taller and don't require bending as much, but they are also very powerful. A well behaved Nubian is a pleasure but, if they want to go in another direction, watch out! Also, with the exception of pipe fencing, they will also crumple your fences over time, unless you have a hot wire to keep them from leaning or standing on it.

As for milking, any breed can have tiny, hard to milk teats. My wrists were permanently damaged after a year of milking a Nubian doe. She gave so much milk and had such tiny teats, it took an incredible amount of time to milk her. After that I had to invest in a machine. I had some Nigerians who had easier teats to milk than she did, so it really all depends on the goat, not necessarily the breed.

An outstanding Nigerian doe can give up to 3/4 gallon per day, but those lines are expensive. It is easier to find a doe who gives an average of 1/2 gallon per day. Nigerians have the highest butterfat of any dairy goat breed, so their milk is usually very sweet, rich, and creamy. In that way, it is quite different from cow's milk. I think the Alpine's milk tastes the most like cow's milk. But keep in mind that what the doe eats also has an effect on the milk's taste, so the milk could taste differently depending on what feed they are getting or what weeds/herbs are in their pasture. I do recommend starting with a doe in milk, but most importantly, find a good breeder who is willing to help you along the way. That will be invaluable.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We needed large quantities of milk. NDs were not readily available, and at the time were not a recognized dairy breed for 4-H kids to show. I still prefer the larger dairy breeds because I would rather milk one goat for more milk than 2 for the same amount. If you bottle feed, they learn to behave. Of course, our goats were trained by our 4 children to walk on leash or collar and to stand in the show ring so they got a lot more handling. No wonder it didn;t seem ike it took that much work to train them! LOL

One thing though, how much milk does your family need daily? 8 lbs. of mik (the proper way to measure) equals 1 gallon. The amount each goat gives also depends on what stage of her lactation she is in, as well as 2x daily milking to keep her output up for a longer lactation, Nutrition also comes into play since the ratio is 1 lb. dairy grain for every 1 lb. of milk produced.

I realize we are all quoting the daily output in quarts/gallons but this must be halved for the amount you will get at each milking. So a goat that gives 1/2 gallon daily is only giving a quart at each milking and a doe that gives a gallon gives only 2 quarts per milking. Then you have to figure out the amount you need to raise her kids on bottles or allow her to nurse the kids during the day and remove them at night. Removing them at night lets her udder fill up so you will have a full udder in the am to milk out before putting the kids back on her.