New to goats in ID

generaldsherman

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My husband and myself just bought a new small farm in Idaho. At first, we thought we'd have only poultry for a year or two until we could afford to pay for dairy goats, as the does go for more than we can afford usually.

Just for fun, I posted a want add on Craigslist: ISO Unwanted Farm Animals. The next day, to my surprise, I got a response. The lady who contacted me had a bunch of pygmy/Nubian crosses (Kinder goat I think?) that she wanted to rehome as a group. She had a couple full Nubians who she wanted to start focusing solely on. The other people that she had talked to wanted to slaughter the goats on her property. We wanted to start a herd of our own.

The result of this was that we got about 5 does, a buck, and 6 kids for $100. I love my new herd of goats. It is my first experience with goats, but I love them so far. I especially love the two bottle doelings. They follow me around just like my dog. Here's some of the goats enjoying the corral while we repair a few fences so they can graze on our land. goats2.jpg
ZdvMLre9KCdnqvPG9

Last edited:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississppi!....:frow
We have goats, chickens, ducks, and cats on our 20acres. Hopefully, ya have the buck separated from the does and doelings. They can be bred at a very young age and may not be a situation ya wish to be faced with so early. You could place yourself into some serious "Goat Math" by having them together. There is a ton of info in the existing Forums and Threads so browse around and if ya have a question, comment, or advice feel free to post...and we all love pics so share as ya wish.....again....:welcome

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from snowy Ohio! Wow, that's an amazing deal you got on the goats! Are you milking any of them yet?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow great deal you got there! A big howdy and welcome to y'all from the Great Lone Star State where the stars at night are big and bright! Look forward to reading about you adventures with goaties!!!!!! Love my goaties.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from alaska!
Cute little herd you got there!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What a sweet windfall! A whole herd for a "steal"! Congrats on finding your first herd! Welcome to BYH! There's a wealth of information in the various threads and we have a great group of active goat folks. If you have questions, just post away and chances are someone will be along to offer help straight away. Make yourself at home!

Last edited:

generaldsherman

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississppi!....:frow
We have goats, chickens, ducks, and cats on our 20acres. Hopefully, ya have the buck separated from the does and doelings. They can be bred at a very young age and may not be a situation ya wish to be faced with so early. You could place yourself into some serious "Goat Math" by having them together. There is a ton of info in the existing Forums and Threads so browse around and if ya have a question, comment, or advice feel free to post...and we all love pics so share as ya wish.....again....:welcome
Thanks for the advice; I am actually debating whether to keep him at all. He is the father of some of the new kids, so I think it's time for him to be traded or retired or something, especially as his mother is in the herd.

Welcome from snowy Ohio! Wow, that's an amazing deal you got on the goats! Are you milking any of them yet?
Building the stand this weekend. Do I separate the babies at night if I am going to milk the mammas? One seems ready for me to milk at least, as her baby is larger than my 8 week old bottle doelings.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Where are you in Idaho? We are in South Central Idaho. Have fun with your herd. I love my goaties!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Building the stand this weekend. Do I separate the babies at night if I am going to milk the mammas? One seems ready for me to milk at least, as her baby is larger than my 8 week old bottle doelings.
I separate mine overnight, but I milk sheep :) and they don't produce as much as most goats. Maybe some goat people will chime in. You could always try it without separating at first.

Latest posts