New to goats, will she always be this way?

Phoenix_rising

Just born
Reaction score
Hi all! Just got my first two goats this week. The first goat (Lucy) is a small black nubian and she's a charmer! She's super sweet, very calm, pretty gentle and delightful. We needed a pal for her so I looked around and found another young female. I'm told she's 1/2 alpine, 1/4 boer and 1/4 nubian (her name is Mocha). She's MUCH bigger than Lucy even though they're only about a month apart (Lucy's about 4 months and Mocha is just over 5)
Our plan was to teather them out close together so they can butt heads, chat and enjoy eachother without getting tangled. Lucy has done great with both the collar and the teather. No problem what so ever. Mocha on the other hand seems very high strung, very easily upset, bolts at the drop of the hat and has "close lined" herself more than once. Which is just quite scary to watch.
Mocha came from a small herd of just her mother and her twin sister. They were allowed to free range whatever they wanted and that's the only life she's known. I picked her up last evening, so she's not even been here 24 hours yet. I hate to be so quick to judge.
Will she get used to being teathered? Do I just need to give her time or do I need to give her back now before it's too late? She's already broke a large breed dog chock chain and ripped right out of a leather collar!! That's just TODAY!
My other wonder is...since she's so used to free ranging, would she stay by Lucy if we teathered Lucy and just let Mocha "free range"? Or would that set me up for failure? Mocha is otherwise a very sweet goat and I hear she should produce quite a bit of milk. I don't want Lucy to be all alone but I fear I bit off far more than I can chew!! Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly apreciated.
(Oh, and Lucy and Mocha seemed to make quick work of bonding. They head butt, sleep near eachother and have shown no malice.)

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
First of all just a word of caution - tethering a goat can be quite deadly for the goat. I speak from experience. A goat is no match for a coyote or pack of dogs under good circumstances. Being tethered takes all hope of survival away if there is an attack.

With all of that said, I doubt your high-strung girl would hang out if she were set free. If you do decide to keep them tethered I would suggest you look into getting a harness for them (we use adjustable horse harnesses for transport purposes) that way there is less chance of choking. Your high-strung girl will get used to it eventually if you decide to keep them on a tether....

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Sounds like Mocha has not been trained to the collar or to tying. Now that she has broken two collars, it will be a bit more difficult...but you can do it. You will need to fit her with a wide dog collar and use a leadrope in an enclosed space, like her stall. Just gently get her used to wearing the collar with no restraint. Then attach the lead, and follow her around the stall a bit, be sure she becomes very calm. Treats help, as does knowing her favorite itchy spots.

Then start to get her used to the idea of restraint. If she ever runs backwards or bolts forward in the very early stage, go with her or drop the lead (you are in the stall, remember?) so she is not traumatized. I like to use my arm or body to block the unwanted movement, but I start this very early when they are very small, so it is much easier. Get her used to you stopping her with the pressure of the collar by including the pressure of your arm or body, then gradually, over several "stops," reduce the pressure from your body and only use the pressure from the collar.

At the same time as she is getting these lessons, also ask her to step sideways towards you by pulling gently on the lead sideways, putting her a bit off balance until she takes ONE STEP sideways towards you. Praise and treat, then repeat. Sideways is the easiest lesson.

She will need to be very calm on the lead and tie in the stall under supervision before you can safely tether her again, I think. Be patient, it is worth taking the time to train any animal.

Please don't tether your goats without your supervision, you being outside with them all the time, unless you are tethering them within a fenced yard. They are just too vulnerable to attack while tied.

I wouldn't turn Mocha loose unless she comes when called reliably, maybe by shaking a can with a few alfalfa pellets in it. She will also eat all your garden plants if given the chance. You also need to be there to supervise, as she will likely get entangled in the other babies' tether.

Depending on how big she is, you may be able to use a large horse halter as a harness....turn it upside-down. I have done this for dogs, a regular sized halter fit on a good-sized female Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

I know the panic when things don't go right....stick with it, you will really enjoy your goats once you get everything figured out. Oh, and once you think you have everything figured out, they will figure out new ways to torment you! :p

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep, can you put some fence up? That is the best for both of them.

You may consider taking them back if you can not get some fence going....

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree with trestlecreek, 100%.

Not trying to sound harsh, but a $15 spool of electric fence goes a looooooong way, and your animals will be safer to boot. It's worth the effort, I promise.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
I agree with trestlecreek, 100%.

Not trying to sound harsh, but a $15 spool of electric fence goes a looooooong way, and your animals will be safer to boot. It's worth the effort, I promise.
:thumbsup

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I tethered goats before I knew what could happen--before I knew what could happen, I will never tether a goat again! Bad news waiting to happen. I also don't mean to sound harsh or mean, but from experience--I will NEVER tether a goat again. JMO--tragic things can happen.