1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

New to goats..

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Goats' started by ChickenAndGoatLover, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jul 11, 2018
    ChickenAndGoatLover

ChickenAndGoatLover Chillin' with the herd

Hello! We are very new to goats and we are going to be getting 4 Nigerian Dwarf goats (3 wethers and 1 doe). They are all 6 months old or under.
    They are going to have about 2 acres of forage to have access to at all times. It’s very tall and thick and plenty for what they’ll need.

I was just wondering what else is recommended for their eating needs? I have heard so many mixed things but I realize every situation is different depending on pasture and sexes etc..

Given MY situation what is ideal for my little guys and girl? Thanks!!

2. Jul 11, 2018
    Soon2Be

Soon2Be Loving the herd life

Congrats on your new goats, you will love them. When my kids were younger, we had 4-h goats. I would have goats now if I could, but my hubby says no. Lol

3. Jul 12, 2018
    ChickenAndGoatLover

ChickenAndGoatLover Chillin' with the herd

Thanks! We are really excited. We just bought a new house on 9+ acres and our dogs, chickens and children love it. We can’t wait for the goats. I’m still a bit uneducated but that’s what I’m here to figure out!

Soon2Be likes this.
  4. Jul 13, 2018
    Donna R. Raybon

Donna R. Raybon Loving the herd life

Keep some good quality grass hay available to them. Use a hayfeeder that they can't get hung in and that keeps hay up off the ground. Feed a flake at a time to keep them from wasting it. They will eat forage, etc... and hay will keep them from being hungry and maybe eating something bad. Find out what kind of loose mineral mix is for your area of country and how you are raising them. The three wethers will do well with some feed that has ammonium chloride to prevent kidney stones. Won't hurt the doeling, even if you milk her later, either. Goats are so much fun and have such great personality!