New to goats

Pjhobbyfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am new to goats we just purchased 3 pygmys that are 4 months old. 1 female and 2 neutered males. They are very skittish I am looking for suggestions on how to get them to warmup to us. I am also wondering what treats are safe/not safe for them.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thinly sliced carrots work real well for a healthy treat. Go sit where they are and read a book or just sit there, they will get used to you....hold your hand out with some sliced carrots and let them eat. Soon enough they will come to you for scratches and love when they see you walk into their area, enjoy your new goats ! :frow

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
@B&B Happy goats gave a great suggestion....sit with them and offer treats! That's the best way to get them used to you. It won't take long ;)
I had 2 sheep that were very skittish and I got them used to me by doing the same thing...I sat in the pasture with them and offered them treats. The ram warmed up to me more than the doe but she came around a bit too.
Things goats should NOT eat (to name just a few)……..chocolate, avocados and nightshades. There are many more things goats shouldn't eat!
What my goats used to love.... watermelons, peaches, bananas and pumpkin :)

Pjhobbyfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thinly sliced carrots work real well for a healthy treat. Go sit where they are and read a book or just sit there, they will get used to you....hold your hand out with some sliced carrots and let them eat. Soon enough they will come to you for scratches and love when they see you walk into their area, enjoy your new goats ! :frow
Thanks for the reply. Missy our female is starting to come around and will let us pet her the two boys max and marty will eat from our hand but if we try to touch them they back away. I will do as you said and sit out with them. I love watching them play. Today I will be building them a raised platform so they have a spot to get up and look around and hang out.

If I were to add another male that is not neutered is there anything I have to do to introduce him to our existing group? Is there anything I would need to watch for? I am thinking of getting one in August or September

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you add a intact male to the group you will completely change the dynamics of your herd...the intact male will want to breed the doe, they pee on their beards to be more attractive to the doe, they are strong smelling when in rut, will be bossy to you two wethers.....and you really don't want to keep a buck in with your doe's unless you are breeding. So that is some of the negative....
Getting another doe would be easier all the way around......
If you want to breed your current doe, borrow a buck, use AI, check with local breeders etc...lots of ways to get her bred without the cost of owning a buck, .....
Think about what your plans are for your goats, ...do you want dairy goats, meat goats , pet goats ?
For what it would cost you to keep a buck for one year (cost of buck, housing ,seperate fencing and feed and shots ) ...you could buy probably two doe's and have some money left over :)
Yepper, bringing a intact buck in with your current group would be a big change.... are you ready for it ? :highfive:

Pjhobbyfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If you add a intact male to the group you will completely change the dynamics of your herd...the intact male will want to breed the doe, they pee on their beards to be more attractive to the doe, they are strong smelling when in rut, will be bossy to you two wethers.....and you really don't want to keep a buck in with your doe's unless you are breeding. So that is some of the negative....
Getting another doe would be easier all the way around......
If you want to breed your current doe, borrow a buck, use AI, check with local breeders etc...lots of ways to get her bred without the cost of owning a buck, .....
Think about what your plans are for your goats, ...do you want dairy goats, meat goats , pet goats ?
For what it would cost you to keep a buck for one year (cost of buck, housing ,seperate fencing and feed and shots ) ...you could buy probably two doe's and have some money left over :)
Yepper, bringing a intact buck in with your current group would be a big change.... are you ready for it ? :highfive:
Thanks for the info definitely something to think about