New to Pig raising

khysell

Just born
Reaction score
We've got 3 Sow's and 1 Boar. Our 1 Sow 250lbs "Black Pig" is very aggressive toward our Boar -175lbs. She tore up his ear and who knows what else yesterday after breaking through the door between their areas and cornering him in his pen, while we were at work. One of our other sow's "Big Pig" 240lbs was "taken" by our Boar 2 days ago, with no problems. Do I need to just let them duke it out? Currently they are seperated with seperate lodging both in the barn and both outdoor spaces. :/

Dino

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sounds like black pig is dominant. Load her up and drive her around for a short while then return her to your farm. Sounds weird but sometimes that is all it takes. Its because she was there first, and did you happen to get the boar and raise him around them? If so... he may not dominate her until he outgrows her. Try the road trip. ;)

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our sow can be feisty too... she isn't any more. What I would like to know is what kind of pigs are these... my sow is 650 pounds and boar 750 pounds! lol

khysell

Just born
Reaction score
Our are Tamworths, and the sows were born the first part of 2012. And our boar the middle of 2012.

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
From what I have heard Tamworths are pretty highly strung. Saying that though there will normally be a dominant female/matriarch in the herd & yes she will boss the boar around. Leave him in with her to settle their differences if he is going to breed her. They will be much happier altogether once they their "order" established.

Liz

Royd Wood

Reaction score
khysell said:
Our are Tamworths, and the sows were born the first part of 2012. And our boar the middle of 2012.
Hi Khysell - nice to have you on the forum and I dont want to get off to a bad start with you but a Tamworth comes in one colour only and it isn't black however the good news is you might have a pig known as a Blackworth which are the backbone of pork supply to our store.
Large Black crossed with Tamworth = Blackworth
Just so happens we have a purebred Tamworth sow in pig (six piglets so far LB dad) as I write this.

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I dont want to get off to a bad start with you but a Tamworth comes in one colour only and it isn't black
LOL! not sure where my brain was last night but I never even picked up on that point Royd! Good observance! Hee Hee! Royd is right, Tamworths are a reddish brown color.

Congrats on your newest litter Royd :)

Liz

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Thanks Liz ended up with 7 beauties + two dead + one dead runt
Tamworth no 2 goes tonight or in the morning
op - you mention big pig 2 was taken by boar - you mean he did the business
yes let them roam together - easier life for you ;)