New to pigs

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My husband finally won me over. We brought home his feeder pig yesterday. I have never raised a pig and have always been opposed to it.
However I do want to make sure the guy is 1. Fed right, 2 taken care of properly up until freezer camp.

We went and got pig food from the feed store that is 16% protein. One thing that i'm finding conflicting information on is worming, if & when to?

He's 11 weeks, 18.1 lbs.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Typically (around here) they de-worm them before they sell them. As they grow, I only did it in the fall. Many people only deworm if necessary, typically having a fecal run by their vet to tell them. Hope that helps some!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the feeder pig. Couple of things from one of many on here who have/have had pigs. Since you have not had one before, follow the advice of the previous owner and the folks at the feed store and common sense. Don't know where you are located, so first thing is pigs don't like to get cold & wet. They will enjoy the cooler brisk temps but want a warm place to sleep so plenty of straw/bedding is a must and no drafts. If this goes halfway well for you I would suggest getting 2 next time as they are very social animals and they will be alot happier with a buddy. Sell the second one to help offset the feed costs, put one in your freezer and you will be surprised at how much you have enjoyed their antics. I did one deworming before I sold my feeders at 8-12 weeks and then only if they needed it. There is no set rule. If it looks thin, worm it now, if not don't bother. If their manure gets real runny then they likely have worms but not always. It will depend on what you feed them besides the pig/hog feed. You can feed them just about anything like garden waste, veg trimmings, overgrown and over-ripe squash and tomatoes and anything else. They don't like alot of potatoes or skins but I've had some that will eat them. Any/all fruit, skins etc. Any and all winter squash and pumpkins. I used to go get pumpkins from a farm after halloween was over and store them in a straw covered pile and feed some everyday. they like to play with them too. Any waste milk from cows or goats, and yes sour is fine. They will dive into it. It can make them loose for a few days until they get used to it. Make sure they get enough hog feed to keep the ration balanced but a "slop bucket" in the old households was to help cut the costs of feeding the hogs and to not waste anything. I would cut down on the milk about a month before butchering so the meat won't be real soft, and scrap bread is okay but not as the primary staple of the diet. Alot of bread also makes for fatty soft meat. He will get lonely, and may make alot of noise when being fed but that is partly pleasure at being fed and partly from having company. When full and content, they will often lay on their side and will love you to rub their belly. Best of luck.