New to Rabbits

King

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
There is another option. If you can afford it is to fence off a large area that you control the biosecurity to an extent. You can't do much about birds flying over but you can keep most predators out. You could raise them on a few acres of land planting what you want them to eat & letting them somewhat live naturally. Of course then the job of finding & removing the bad genes from the group becomes harder.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That would be an interesting experiment.
My only concern would be parasites such as worms and fleas and ticks.

King

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That would be the part about controlling the biosecurity. Using the right mixed of animals to help each other out. Chickens eat ticks. If the wrong host eats worm eggs it will kill the worm.

I actually do done of this. I run horses, a sheep, & a cow until she went to the freezer. When I started this I quit having problems with worms. However rabbits & quail get there pens for ease of care. I don't know which companion host would go well with rabbits. I know with rabbits they are an intermediate host for some other parasites. Dogs are the host to some of these so dogs should stay out of this field. You would also have to clean your shoes before entering the field or even better having shoes only worn in this field.

SrStinkaLot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What @King recommends is an ideal method to raising any type of animal naturally I believe it's an idea I could consider when I grow older and have my own land, right now my bees are in a rented land and I plan having my rabbits in my backyard.

Latest posts