New to raising calves

Micki21965

Just born
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to raising calves and have a few concerns/questions. We bought to holstein calves at auction. One is 110 pounds and has scours. The other is 97 pounds and won't take a bottle tonight. We got them last night and fed both 2 quarts of medicated milk replacer (all my local feed store had) well both took there bottles great. This morning again both took there bottles, but I noticed that the 110 pound one had water like stool. I gave him electolytes this afternoon but he only took about a pint. He has been drinking water from a bucket so I set the bucket up with electolytes. Well tinight he seems to be doing better but the 97 pound calf won't take his bottle. I took his temp and it was 100.8. I don't know what to do for this little guy. Any information would be greatfully appreciated

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Get in contact with a vet ASAP! Your calves are in serious trouble, and you need someone with real expertise like a vet. You must make sure that the replacer is real milk protein, and not soy protein. Then, keep those calves hungry for at least a week. This means underfeeding them slightly (no more than 1.5 quarts per feeding. They will seem ravenously hungry, but they will survive just fine for a week or so. Overfed calves are often dead calves. Don't let them have access to water till they are started on dry feed, or at least till they are 3 weeks old. Let me repeat----GET IN TOUCH WITH A VET. NOW! And---good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

larryj57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
JHM47 gave me the best advice on bottle calves,keep them hungry and make sure they are not on a soy based milk repacer.
I raised 6 Jersey calves since last oct ,using his advice and they are REAL close to butchering size/age. Thanks JHM>