New to raising rabbits

kionahauth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all glad to be here! Look forward to learning new things.

I have gone all in on raising meat rabbits. We have 4 standard rex at this time.

We also have decided we would raise chickens for both meat and eggs.

Looking forward to this adventure and excited to learn something new from all of you!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wanted rex for our meat rabbits but son needed a 6 class for our county 4h... so have New Zealands. And show bunnies are mini rex, polish and velveteen lops.

kionahauth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wanted rex for our meat rabbits but son needed a 6 class for our county 4h... so have New Zealands. And show bunnies are mini rex, polish and velveteen lops.

We considered nz and Californians but they have been hard to come by here in oregon. How is raising !Nz?

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello all glad to be here! Look forward to learning new things.

I have gone all in on raising meat rabbits. We have 4 standard rex at this time.

We also have decided we would raise chickens for both meat and eggs.

Looking forward to this adventure and excited to learn something new from all of you!
hello and welcome to the forums.
That's my goal before, But when I got sunny. (my rabbit). I stopped eating rabbits. :D:D:D

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
We considered nz and Californians but they have been hard to come by here in oregon. How is raising !Nz?
So far not bad. They seem huge compared to our other bunnies.... 10.5 & 11.5 pounds. Last year we got our first doe bred, she has been easy so far. We kept a doe from her litter and just got a buck. Both girls bred nicely and due in 3 weeks. Our younger doe is a bit frumpy...kids didn't mess with her enough. But not terrible. And they don't have to have a pet attitude. They are whites, so boring but again they are for providing meat so probably better than pretty colors.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi there from NW PA! We started out breeding NZ and California for meat. And I cross them for size too. Now I only sell for pets. Well, I am selling about 10 to a guy who is going to raise for meat, I’ve sold others for the same reasons. I just mean, we don’t eat them. We tried a few. Great taste...we just have a hard time butchering anything more than a chicken. These breeds are a nice solid size rabbit. Good meat, hearty rabbit in winter and summer. Easy to maintain...because, I think they aren’t as delicate as the smaller breeds, especially the kits. They give me big litters too. When I cross, I get the best of both worlds, bigger size, better taste? At least that’s what I’m told. Plus, if you sell for pets..these bunnies are big sellers!! I sold 42 these last 2 weeks, and my upcoming litters are almost all reserved. I like raising and breeding rabbits. It’s not a lot of work. Sometimes it takes more time, like in the winter because there are a ton of cages, and water freezes...I use bowls in winter...but, it’s not hard work. Welcome to BYH!!