New to Sheep, Have?s

mylilchix

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We're getting a small flock of sheep in about 2 weeks. They're 3/4 dorper and 1/4 katahdin. We'll be getting a yearling ewe, 2 ewe lambs born 3/13/09, and a ram lamb born 4/7/09. Other than pasture and hay, what else do I need to feed them?

Thanks,
Sonja

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
you need to feed them feed made specially for sheep.an minerals formulated for sheep.

mylilchix

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you. I had a feeling about that but wanted to make sure before I bought anything.

Sonja

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One very important thing to remember....ANY feed or minerals you get for your sheep....make SURE its for sheep, goat feed will not work as there is copper in it...which can harm your sheep. With the youngens, dont over feed them grains....if they have a good pasture..clean water...for the most part....thats ALL they need. Just watch thier weight, if they look skinny...try a grain mix of oats,corn,wheat. .. OR you can get Lamb pellets. Mine are getting pellets because of the 10 week old ram. Once he is older, its mostly grass for them! And, congrats on the sheep.:D

mylilchix

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I emailed the woman we're getting the sheep from today. She said that she just has them on pasture and alfalfa. Should I just stick to that and see how they do?

Thanks,
Sonja

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yup, just continue as she is doing, and all should be fine. Also, if you pasture is rich enough, you wont need alfalfa. Mine dont get it...and they are fat as butter. ( they actually need to cut back a bit on the pellets they get because of the young ram gets them)

bmerb

Just born
Reaction score
Hi, please let us know how it goes with your new sheep! I've been wanting to start up a small flock with exactly those breeds, except I was thinking of getting a larger percentage Katahdin than Dorper. I'd love to know more about your experience with them!

jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello out there.

My DH and I are trying to start a flock. We bought 2 ewe's that are 1/2 suffolk and 1/2 texel. At least thats what the guy we rescued them from said. He had them running with a ram and we think they might be preg. One definitely has udders and the other one has small ones. We are getting them sheered this weekend. But the question I have is, what do they need need. I am feeding them left over Purina Growenna pellets from my daughters fair lambs. It has a 18% protein content and selenium. I am getting corn from the co-op today and I have some selenium powder here, should I mix the Growena and corn together to get them off it and then just add the selenium to the corn? They also get hay, 1st cutting and about 1/2 a 3x5 bale a day. There isn't much grass left in their penned area.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!! :thumbsup

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
mylilchix said:
I emailed the woman we're getting the sheep from today. She said that she just has them on pasture and alfalfa. Should I just stick to that and see how they do?

Thanks,
Sonja
I would! The breed you are getting is a combination of breeds that do very well on graze alone. I would also offer some free choice minerals. I offer kelp meal and salt, but I'm sure other folks can steer you towards a commercial mix they use that is appropriate to sheep.

Latest posts