New to shepherding

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine never got like that, but I threw it out on day 3.
ARGH! Why did you throw it out??? :( Was it 'off'?

We routinely drink milk that is 10 days old and it's still delicious. After that, I will give the dogs/pigs/chickens a treat just because I have the extra milk to share. I'm putting a quart a day in the freezer now for when I stop milking.

Last edited:

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Eek yeah I keep it for up to 7 days usually before I give it to the animals. Sometimes up to 10.although it's rare that milk lasts that long here,

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
All of my milk is raw- keeps great! Not trying to pick on you at all- and of course you should do what feels right for you - just letting you know that in most cases raw milk stores well and tastes great for a week or more.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
All of my milk is raw- keeps great! Not trying to pick on you at all- and of course you should do what feels right for you - just letting you know that in most cases raw milk stores well and tastes great for a week or more.

Ours doesn't last that long in the fridge either. 5 days and it starts tasting different. I really think it is because we open and close the fridge probably a hundred times a day. Big family and I swear they are like hobbits. Fast metabolism means they eat every 10-15 minutes. :lol: Then there is the lets open fridge and look around so we can say "there is nothin' good to eat" close fridge then open it again and pull out something.

I will have a separate milk fridge this year. ;)

Our new fridge broke twice already. Putting 4 gallons of fresh milk at 100 degrees 2x day makes the whole fridge warm. We learned this the hard way. Got it tweaked now. :rolleyes:

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I really think it is because we open and close the fridge probably a hundred times a day. Big family and I swear they are like hobbits. Fast metabolism means they eat every 10-15 minutes. :lol:

I hear you! My grandmother (who only had 2 kids) commented on how our fridge is always open because there is ALWAYS someone opening the fridge. ;)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
My mom always gave me hell for opening the fridge :( Like mother like son... I carried the same thing over onto my kids. My son has out grown it as he will open the fridge door to grab something and leave the door wide open while he walks over to the sink or furthest counter with whatever it was he took out, then saunter back over to close the fridge door. Makes the hackles on the back of my neck stand straight up! When I was working, folks would open the fridge door in the break room, leave it open and just walk away. Drove me positively nuts.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My mom always gave me hell for opening the fridge :( Like mother like son... I carried the same thing over onto my kids. My son has out grown it as he will open the fridge door to grab something and leave the door wide open while he walks over to the sink or furthest counter with whatever it was he took out, then saunter back over to close the fridge door. Makes the hackles on the back of my neck stand straight up! When I was working, folks would open the fridge door in the break room, leave it open and just walk away. Drove me positively nuts.

Lol, leaving the fridge open is the new form of ac! Didn't you know that ? ! :plbb