New to the Goat Life

D&E_Creamery

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey! New to Goats over here! I was just given a Kiko/Nubian doe. I'm looking to purchase several more goats this spring with the intent of creating a small dairy for family and friend use. Raw milk sales are illegal in the state where I reside and pasteurized milk must be inspected even when being sold directly to the consumer. (TN) I can't wait to hear and read and absorb all your experience.

Attachments

• IMG_20210212_221950789.jpg
    IMG_20210212_221950789.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 85

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey! New to Goats over here! I was just given a Kiko/Nubian doe. I'm looking to purchase several more goats this spring with the intent of creating a small dairy for family and friend use. Raw milk sales are illegal in the state where I reside and pasteurized milk must be inspected even when being sold directly to the consumer. (TN) I can't wait to hear and read and absorb all your experience.
I’m more on meat goat side but I’m also very experienced with dairy goats!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome. Fresh goat milk can be delish. My girls are generous producers!

I assume you have not milked or raised milk goats before. Several here on forum with milk goats. I have 20 Saanen and SaanenXNubian does. Most trained milkers, about 7 first fresheners this year....so training will be busy here this summer. There are safety and health things to know. There are quirky doe things to know, to make it a fun chore.

You say you will be buying this Spring, intending to milk. I suggest you look for a trained milking doe, in milk. Buy from a farm that will let you milk before you buy and who will help you that first time, at their farm, to milk! You don't want to get home with a doe needing milked and you can't accomplish that!!! You don't want the first goat you try to milk to be one that has never been milked. I say this because with both of you untrained, it will not be a smooth experience. 😁

D&E_Creamery

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome. Fresh goat milk can be delish. My girls are generous producers!

I assume you have not milked or raised milk goats before. Several here on forum with milk goats. I have 20 Saanen and SaanenXNubian does. Most trained milkers, about 7 first fresheners this year....so training will be busy here this summer. There are safety and health things to know. There are quirky doe things to know, to make it a fun chore.

You say you will be buying this Spring, intending to milk. I suggest you look for a trained milking doe, in milk. Buy from a farm that will let you milk before you buy and who will help you that first time, at their farm, to milk! You don't want to get home with a doe needing milked and you can't accomplish that!!! You don't want the first goat you try to milk to be one that has never been milked. I say this because with both of you untrained, it will not be a smooth experience. 😁
Thank you! I will do that! I hadn't thought of asking to milk the goat first as a test. That's a great idea!