New to the group! Hello from Nevada!

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My name is Patricia. My family and I just moved to our new house built on just over an acre backed up to federal lands. My husband, two kids (2 and 3 years old) and I are very excited to be living in the peace and quiet of Washoe Valley in Nevada.

I've raised chickens most of my life for eggs and meat. I've also raised a couple of turkeys for meat. My husband raised goats, chickens and turkeys as a kid. After living in the city for quite some time we managed to find our new space and would really like to get back to raising animals for the needs of our family. Ideally we'd like to have chickens, turkeys, rabbits and maybe goats and bees. We will start with chickens and rabbits and add the others as the kids get older and are better able to help with chores.

My husband and I both work outside of our home so time is definitely an issue, especially with young kids. I would really like to be realistic about what we can do as a family and enjoy it. I want to raise my children to know that food doesn't just come from the grocery store.

Starting soon we will be breaking ground for the 10' x 20' chicken coop for two separate flocks and a grow out pen. We will start the rabbit shed of the same size at the same time. We're doing concrete for better pest and predator control.

My hope for joining this forum is to gain knowledge and insight on keeping different animals. I want to know what is realistic for the size of our property and for the time we have to care for it all.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH from CA. Sounds like you are thinking all of this through and making plans, that is good. I always seem to bring the animal home and then scramble to build the pen. Good planning on your part, not so much on mine. I am a goat addict, no denying it :) You could put a few goats on your acre but you would have to supplement feed. You could do minis or Nigerian Dwarfs and get some milk or do a meat goat herd (2-3) if you are wanting meat. It all depends on your plans. I have big dairy goats but I do eat the boys that I don't sell.

You are in a pretty part of Nevada. When you get ready to get goats you might want to think about a livestock guardian dog (LGD) to keep them safe being that you border some vacant land.

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank for the welcome, @promiseacres & @babsbag!

I try to plan as much as possible, especially when it comes to keeping critters. I like having most things set and ready before I dive in.

My husband's family raised Saanens. I remember visiting their ranch when he and I first started dating and I saw their goats. I've never seen such big goats! When the kids get older I'd really like have a couple of meat and dairy goats. We definitely would have to offer feed. There's no way the sage would support any kind of critter :)

We have two Rottweilers right now. We've bred working Rotties for years. My current female has some herding titles on her. We also have her littermate. Their momma passed about a year ago. She was an amazing worker and showed well too. Their dad was the world champion of 2008. He also had many working titles.

I've thought of a LGD. Maybe if and when we get goats. We have so many predators in the valley it's no joke. Raccoons, skunk, coyotes and bobcats and the occasional bear and mountain lion. Our dogs are house dogs so we'd need someone outside watching over everyone.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saanens are big goats, probably the biggest of the dairy breeds. I have mostly Alpines with a few LaManchas and some mini Alpines. I also have a dairy, so yes, I have a lot of goats. When I got my first 3 Alpines they were on about 1/2 acre and did well so it can be done. I have 4 LGDs and they are for me as much as they are for the goats. I have two border collies that live in the house but the LGDs let me make the midnight trip to barn without worrying about anything. I love my dogs.

Last edited:

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We've been debating on clearing the acre or leaving the sagebrush. Will goats eat the sage? It's pretty thick but sandy in between. I also think it'll be good for hiding places for the chickens when we let them out. We have so many hawks around.

I take my female rottie with me if I go outside. I know the coyotes are close (day and night) so I don't go out without her by my side. But if we get goats all I need is for her to start trying to herd them when I need to make a late run to the barn.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello! :welcome My family resides along the Ohio River in Southern Indiana. We started experimenting with chickens about four years ago and got our first rooster this year to try raising our own replacements and to put some in the freezer. We also raise Show Cattle, Nigerian Dwarf goats for milk (we had Boers in the past,) feed out a few pigs, and of course the usual cats and dogs. Our kids are 6,3,2 so similar to yours!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome from West Central Indiana. We are just SW of Indanapolis in the country. Since we live on church property I haven't been too invasive with the property as far as additional out buildings, coops, or fencing, etc. I have raised meat rabbits since my 8 and 4 year old sons were abt 5 and 18 months old. Raised em 30 years ago too at home, but that is a book all itself. My youngest loves deep fried rabbit nuggets. He knows it is the rabbits, but still calls it rabbit-chicken meat. Our general rule is we pet bunnies, we eat rabbits. Eventually I want our own property to have goats, chickens, and rabbits. Maybe10-15 years from now, Lord willing.

The only restriction you may have is acreage size. Chickens and rabbits, even bees do not take much room. The goats will be a little more limited, but you could get creative.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure if goats will eat sage or not, we don't have any here, lots of oaks and poison oaks. I would sure leave some for cover, that is a good idea. With lots of work (usually) and patience you can have an LGD with your chickens and they will almost always keep the hawks away.

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Wehner Homestead Hi! I love chickens so very much. I was in FFA as a kid and got my American Farmer Degree as a senior in high school thanks to my chickens :) I hope you're having good luck getting lots of nuggets with the help of your rooster ;) Two-leggeds make all of this so much more fun!

@Pastor Dave Hi! I'm very excited to start on rabbits. I'm curious to see what the kids will think. I do like your "rule" :) I may have to use that. My husband really just want dairy goats. He doesn't much like goat meat. So we may just be looking at a few dairy goats in the future.

@babsbag I'll keep the idea of a LGD on the back burner for now. I don't have the time for working dogs at the moment with my kids being so young and with planning for all of these critters.