New to the Group

Texas Gramma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We are in the process of building a miniature donkey farm. Our standard donkey lost her companion Shetland pony last Fall to old age and in our search for a new companion we stumbled across miniature donkeys. These little animals are precious. In fact, I was amazed at how our donkey bonded to me once the Shetland was gone. So far, we have rescued 2 spotted miniature donkeys and we plan to get 3 more for a total of 6. Our old standard jenny is the matriarch.....we love sitting out in the yard watching the miniatures follow her around the pasture. I do have one question. I've noticed some breeders have pics with their donkey wearing a neck collar rather than a halter. Where can I find these neck collars?

Madhouse Pullet

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Picture_20201122_135616424.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Donkeys are brilliant smart. The miniatures make good pets and can be trained to pull a cart. 6 huh? That’s a team! LOL Unless you want a population explosion, have any jacks gelded and keep them separated until you do. With so many donkeys and horses going to slaughter, it makes no sense to breed more, so many need homes! Enjoy your donkeys!

I used a cribbing collar on the donkey I used to have. He was hard to catch, could hear the slightest whisper of hay twine coming out of my pocket, he’d wheel around and be gone in an instant. Halter? Forget it. But for some reason I could catch hold of the cribbing collar without him running away. Maybe that is what you are seeing?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to Backyard Herds!

For my goats I used dog collars.

Are the minis small enough that they are wearing dog collars?

Latest posts