New to the herd

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Howdy all :frowWould say I'm new but wouldn't want to insult anyone's intelligence:gigI'm thinking about getting some goats and realized I know nothing about the ones I'm going to look at . I have questions lots of questions . I'll get to those later . The directive says I should do this first . Hopefully I did it right .

Ravyn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:lol:

I'd know that face anywhere!

Turtle Rock Farm

Caprine Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aha... Thanks for posting here, Ravyn.

Welcome to BYH, "stranger" ;)

HeavensHens88

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:welcome- which seems to be the unanimous temporary BYC coop. ;)
I'm a BYC refugee as well. :p
~Sarah

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! What kind of goats are you thinking about getting?
Well I would really like goats that cost a little and sell for a lot . :gig:idunnoSince I don't want to milk a goat . Guess just brush goats of some kind .I'm supposed to go look at some Nigerian dwarf goats but I don't know anything about them except the name means small .I don't think they would be a good investment though . I really want a marketable meat goat . perhaps you could recommend a goat breed that fit my needs . And I don't want to get into registered stock .

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. Just got my goats about a month ago. Only took me about three years from when I started the process. Make yourself at home here. Browse around the goat section some as there's a wealth of info and knowledge shared there.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
For meat goats, I hear people talk about Boer and Kiko a lot. @Southern by choice has some, maybe they will chime in.

I have sheep and haven't had any trouble selling lambs.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to look at the land you have to support what you want to do.
Ideally market weight is 60-70 lbs. Anything over that and you will have a price drop per pound.
Nigerians are dairy goats not meat goats. They may be well over a year maybe 18m -24m before that weight.

Typically you want goats that can kid twins/trips and can RAISE their own young without birthing issues or complications.
Wean weights are key as you do not want to pour feed into them or your profit margin will be blown.

Look for goats that are quality that doesn't mean they have to be registered. You want good udders, good body capacity, parasite resistant animals.
I prefer Kikos. Spanish, Savannah or crosses of these goats.
Many of the Kiko and Spanish will cross with the Nubian (dairy breed) because they are more dual purpose.

Generally you want market weight at around 4 months