New to us calf - won’t stop mooing

Sookie

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I just joined and love the information! What a great community.

We have previously raised angus calves, usually one at a time. They would moo usually the first night and then be acclimated. Today we got our first Highland heifer. She is 6 months old. She has been mooing for almost 12 hours. I’m giessing she is lonely. Will she acclimate to being alone? She came from a small fold of about 10. Is there anything we can do to help her transition?

She has food, water, shelter and we keep talking to her. Our chicken coop shares a fence with her pasture. She moos at them.

I’m feeling sad for her (and our neighbors), any suggestions would be appreciated,
Sookie

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd agree...misses her friends! The bottle babes normally are alone already but, this one not. Get a friend --

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Old thread I know but our neighbors got a calf to join another calf and a horse. Newbie yelled until he was hoarse 😝. Undeterred he continued until the moo was the most unbovine sound I’d ever heard. “Lordy we have orcs.” I thought when I checked out the noise at 2am. He kept it up until his voice was gone. Sometimes they just have to yell I guess.

Latest posts