New

gishpar

Just born
Reaction score
Hi: My name is Patricia. I raise barbado blackbelly sheep. I am interested in promoting as well as receiving info on these sheep as I am still a beginner, although, I have had them about 3 years now. I am not a big time shepherdess. I only have 5 adults and three lambs. I am more of a hobby farmer. I am interested in raising my sheep holistically. We are blessed in our town with a vet who goes our of his way to treat our animalas holistically first but then will use commercial meds if the holistic does not work. We all love him to death and he has awards from our town for his care and love of all our animals in our area. I love my sheep. People say they cannot be tamed but I have two adult rams who come up to me for their rub on their chins and around their horns. They only come if I have food or treats ut that is okay. Yesterday, I too an orphan lamb out for mingle with them. Ramsey came to me for his caressing and then Rambo came up and for the first time let me give him a rub on the chin and horns. I was ecstatic. My orphan lamb's mom to a neurological disease and our vet could not save her. He has been raised in enclosed area so when I let him out he comes back in and begins to get a fever so I am concerned that he may not make it as a grown ram due to his fever bouts. My vet gave me lixotonic. I put one teaspoon in one milk replacer feediing per day. He fever then comes down but yesterday, I put him out for three hours. His temp was normal when he went out and went up when he was back in after an hour or two. Anyway, I love my barbado sheep. The best breed I have had yet. I am glad I found this site and hope to be a consistent member.

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:woot
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!
:D
They can be very tame normally but keep an eye on the rams whenever you're in the pen. ESPECIALLY around breeding season. Rams can/will get VERY rambunctious when there are girls around to breed. I just warn that you be careful no mater how tame they seem. I'm sure others who come along will say the same.

Anyway, great to have you here! Hope you like it as much as I do! :)

~MW

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi! :frow
We have goats, chickens, ducks, and cats. Your sheep sure sound very interesting, and there are plenty of really good Sheeple here, and am sure some will be along to welcome ya shortly. Something that ya can do to aid others and yourself is to add a general location to your banner. Whenever ya have a question it will give others the locale that you are in and any locale specific problems that could factor into their answers. Plus, it will allow others know if ya are fairly close by. We have a really great community and the folks are super helpful.
Again....:welcome

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! What state are you in? And we'd love to see pictures of your sheep. Sounds like you have a good vet, that's great.

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:welcome ! I have found this site very useful. Everyone is a big help i have found i love reading about everyones animals just as much as i love being around my own and the pics :ep so much cute its almost to much

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. You didn't mention where you're located? We have folks here from all over the world. If you can share some pictures of your sheep, we'd really appreciate it. We all love looking at pictures of other's animals. Sounds like you have a very good vet! Make yourself at home and browse around the forum. If you have questions, just post away. Chances are someone will try to help you pretty quickly.

gishpar

Just born
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi: I am in Arkansas. I will try to post pics of my sheep. I have been busy with my orphan ram lamb who keeps running a fever off and on. He is barely a month old. I have it down to he is either allergic to dead leaves, gets too dehydrated, or cannot withstand windy days.

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice looking sheep! :welcome from Vermont.

You can update your profile to add your location and it will show up on your posts. We have others here from Alabama and surrounding states.