newbe here just wondering :)

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Why do I have them--because of the milk, but also because I love goats. One of the vets wives called to see if I had anything for sale and after visiting for a while, she said I was a walking, talking promote the goat salesperson. We live, breathe, sleep, drink goats--I have my home decorated in goats--they are wonderful creatures that fulfil a varity of needs.

K*S La Manchas

Just born
Reaction score
You know, I just had this conversation with a fellow goat breeder. The goats give you something to look forward to (baby goats in spring), something to keep you occupied (milking every day), and something to look back on (old photographs and memories).

Some of my best friends I have met through goats. *MOST* goat breeders aren't cutthroats like they are in some other species *cough.dogs.cough.horses.cough.cough*. Most will truly want to help you get started or get through rough patches.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I got into goats because I wanted my own milk source. I also decided on goats because they need less space and eat less than a cow. I also don't need gallons of milk per day. Plus they poop the berries which I would rather clean up than cow pies.

Getting into any animals is more for the love of the animal than the profit. It is 24x7 and you better love it. I can tell you that I have only had my goats since the end of May and I just love them.

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love my goats! I started with three big goats to eat the woods and mainly the poison oak. They made the woods look like a park because they ate everything they could reach. Then we got nigerian dwarves because they are easy to handle and are so darn cute. The babies will melt your heart. The hardest part about having goats is having to sell the babies! If you have a wooded area for them to eat, they don't need much else. As far as vet bill...learn to give vaccinations yourself, learn to disbud them, and learn how to keep them healthy. Read everything you can get your hands on. Any goat issue has an answer somewhere online. I have never been to the vet with any of my goats...knock on wood. I love my goats!

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Most whom have goats just like goats!!!:D When you learn to love a goat, it is hard to turn away.

I have made $$ and you can make $$ with goats, but IMO,the amount of time spend during kidding season is enormous and you have to really enjoy it.

You can really loose $$ too with goats if it's not done correctly.

Generally, those whom do not want to feed them right, don't want to vaccinate and don't want to plan breeding's end up failing horribly and get out as fast as they got in.

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thankyou every one for the info :) I have to look into goats a lot more. Im trying to find someone in my area that has goats to find out info and to check them out. Im not the greatest finding things online :( Thanks for your help so far Scotty

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
scooter said:
Im not the greatest finding things online
Well, you managed to find this site.. If there's something you need to know, but can't find it, post it...someone will find it for you.

:D

chickenrunnin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
All of these stories were so heart warming, we should use all of the stories for a chicken soup for the goat lovers soul...