Newbe

MJP Farms

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I love this site, very helpful people! great ideas too!
I was wondering if you could give me a hand here. I'm new to raising calves from the dairy I've always raised horses and goats. So what I'm wondering is do you have any home ticks for scours pneumonia. I live in Minnesota and this past weekend it was very cold and only lost one little guy :( the dairy where we get these lil ones from sent blankets this last time for the trailer ride, Well i just kept them on and they are doing well with them. Should i look into buying more blankets and just letting them wear them like i do after my horses build their winter hair coat?
Is there any thing else pointers websites to ready anything?... My neighbors are well around here are well while they scratch you back to help you they are stabbing it. I don't have any older farmers around here in the cattle to work with so just looking for some pointers tips tricks. They are Holsteins that we get from the dairy.

Thanks to anyone who helps!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've raised a lot of Holstein bull calves in the past. First thing---keep them hungry. They will act ravenously hungry after you feed them, but NEVER exceed the recommended amount. Also---use a 100% milk protein milk replacer. Never use a soy based milk replacer. The blankets are a good idea in cold weather. Keep them on them till the weather warms up some. If they were mine, I'd get them started on a good quality calf starter feed as soon as they will eat it. I'd also let them have the best quality alfalfa hay available in limited quantities for the first couple months. Keep them on dry bedding and out of drafts, and you'll probably do pretty well with them. But remember---DON'T OVERFEED!!! Good luck!