Newbie goat mom with questions

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We give our CD&T in the muscle in the back leg/hip

The label does say sub q ( under skin) but this is an injection that can be given either way

This was per our vets recommendation to avoid lumps caused by the vaccine

Whichever you feel most comfortable giving is fine
The muscle in rear is actually easier

Luvinthefarmlife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yeah she is way pregnant. I think trips. IMO she does look like she is dropping some but if she has a lot in there it won't be as noticeable esp with a FF (first freshener)
She may go boom with her udder just before or even after.
Always make sure after she kids that you actually express the colostrum and make sure it isn't too thick and there is a stream. Do not just go by you see them on her. If too thick and they can't get it out you won't know til they go lethargic. White around their mouth can be bubbles and froth from unsuccessful nursing. This is just at the beginning- right after she kids.

You want gloves, you want pee pads, towels paper towels, and a bulb syringe. Having a bottle of OB Lube on hand is critical and should be in your kidding kit as well as jump start. Check out Jeffers supply for these things. You need iodine to dip the cords as well. Make sure you also have a thermometer on hand and vaseline. I like slip covers for our goat thermometers.

Closely watch momma. Keep nutridrench on hand and get that now. Not eating can be serious. If you see not eating and standing off that does not always mean kidding is soon it can be a sign of pregnancy toxemia. After kidding it can be hypocalcemia (milk fever- the temp drops so not a fever in the way people think)

As far as The cdt... it may be too late for the immunity and you may need a different schedule. I will find the attachment and post it.
As far as giving it... try not to give in CL areas. CL is a disease. Should/neck are CL areas. Over the ribs is good place. SQ.
We never do IM because we have an entire line that reacts to CDT and if given IM it could destroy the tissue/muscle. If I am going to get an abscess I sure don't want it in the muscle.
There are people that do but SQ is recommended.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/27116/goat-vaccination-program

Thank you for your reply!! Shes eating pretty good would hurt her if I go ahead and vaccinate her now even though it might be too late? This is all really helpful information I really appreciate it alot.. I need to get iodine and the bulb syringe.. I know shes not liking being separated from her friends (miniature horses) so she cries from time to time too.. so s and me signs are hard to read with her going through separation anxiety

Luvinthefarmlife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We give our CD&T in the muscle in the back leg/hip

The label does say sub q ( under skin) but this is an injection that can be given either way

This was per our vets recommendation to avoid lumps caused by the vaccine

Whichever you feel most comfortable giving is fine
The muscle in rear is actually easier
That's where I usually vaccinate out calves is kn the rear so I might do that less stress on the goat during this time thank you so much

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hope everything goes well for you all! My experience with Nigerian Dwarf births has been very smooth and wonderful. Let's hope yours is too!

Luvinthefarmlife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hope everything goes well for you all! My experience with Nigerian Dwarf births has been very smooth and wonderful. Let's hope yours is too!

I hope so too with her being a kinder goat shes a cross between a nubian and a pygmy goat I'm not sure what the buck is here is a pic
38869-MMS-1529342833965-attachment1-20180226_1657021.jpg

Attachments

• 38869-MMS-1529342833965-attachment1-20180226_1657021.jpg
    38869-MMS-1529342833965-attachment1-20180226_1657021.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 87

Luvinthefarmlife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Keep us updated on her progress! She definitely looks pregnant to me too. :)

Oh I'll keep you all updated she wont let me feel under belly anymore I'm guess its uncomfortable for her I keep feeling the ligaments I know i can still have up to 2 more weeks before kidding since indont know the exact time she was bred just what month i hate the waiting game haha

Luvinthefarmlife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just want to keep everyone updated... no kids yet smh. But I think maybe we are getting close I have seen her pushed her head against the wall and heard her grit her teeth once and shes been stretching her neck around and yawning alot I'm guessing those are signs that we are getting close!! No mucus yet and I can still kinda feel her ligaments but have nothing to compare the ligaments too.. getting excited!!!!

Luvinthefarmlife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hope you all are doing ok.

We are doing good so far Blossom is starting to get up a lot more and love around she keeps looking and calling for her babies she hurts but so far getting through it hopefully a full recovery when the 2 times a day penicillin shots i have to give her thanks for all the support and concerns