Newbie Goat Owner Pics added

jeaucamom

Just born
Reaction score
Howdy all from Northern CA...

Under strange circumstances wound up with 2 pregnant does and a buck tonight. I hope I have already found a home for the buck as I have no desire to have a buck (God bless Craigslist). But will need all the assistance I can find with these sweeties. I think they are Nubian Crosses, but even that is a guess on my part.

Anway.. Hi to all, and looking forward to learning as much about goats as I have about chickens on our sister site.

jeaucamom

Just born
Reaction score
This is what I posted earlier on BYC:

So I have a friend of a co-worker who is hispanic and doesn't speak English well, so we were working through a translator. I have gotten two dfferent stories as to the reason, but the bottom line is... he is getting rid of all his animals (whether or not he had to is unsure). He has three goats, two pregnant does and one buck. We went out to see them today and they were kept in just barely decent conditions (emphasis on just barely). He followed me home and insisted on fixing my fence RIGHT NOW for me (on the pasture I DONT want them in and have no place to put them in other than my new coops that are as yet unoccupied, as opposed to the pasture with the goat shed) and then insisted on bringing them TONIGHT, and wants $300 for all three of them. Now these does have had twins and triplets in the past and I know for a fact their milk is good because I have had it on several occasions.

But I really wasn't quite ready for them (was thinking in two weeks), can't quite afford them (he'll take payments), and I obviously don't know how to say no. I totally got bamboozled into this deal. I don't know if they are healthy although they looked great (please don't laugh at me), don't know if this will jeopardize any future goats I want etc, and don't know how easy it will be to get rid of the buck (the ad is already on craigslist).

The long term plan is to let the does kid, keep the kids, get rid of the adults. The adults have horns and I am a scaredy wuss and don't want my goats to have horns, so I can whether and de-bud any boy babies and keep and girls.

So... my name is Susy and I am sucker.

It was pitch dark when they got here, so I wil post pics in the am...

The main thing is I know NOTHING about goats!!

jeaucamom

Just born
Reaction score
DSCN5398.jpg

DSCN5399.jpg

DSCN5400.jpg

Their hooves are GROSS!!!!!

DSCN5401.jpg

And I am very worried about them being cold. It is about 40 degrees right now.. Is that too cold for them?

Any ideas on breeds?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Looks like some type of Boer mix to me.

Do they have a shelter to get out of the elements? As long as they have a shelter to totally get out of the elements, they should be ok. Just put down some straw for the flooring and that should help with keeping them warm too.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
40 degrees would feel like a heat wave to our goats right now...they should be fine.

Their coats look a little rough, it could be shedding or a worm load, or even some mineral deficiency.... I know money's tight now but if you could take a poop sample in to a vet to have a fecal ran, it'd be a good idea.

Be careful trimming the hooves, especially the back feet, on a preggo doe. Too much tugging (on their part to get their legs away from you) can trigger labor / miscarriage.
I'm not saying 'don't' trim them...just be careful, have lots of help to hold them, etc.

I'd get some CDT toxoid (for tetanus and over eating disease) and vaccinate them ASAP, then booster them in 2 weeks. 2 cc ea. goat.
I want to stress, do it ASAP, esp. if you're going to trim their hooves. Farm stores have it cheap...I get "Essential 3 + T" from Jeffers Livestock Supply online.

The does could be boer x nubian...or boer x anything, really...but I'll about bet you that buck (assuming the short eared fellow is the buck) is Boer x LaMancha.

Try to find out their due dates...

If their not used to all that lush grass where they came from (It sounds like a small pen...?) they could get a raging case of the squirts from all the green stuff. I'd give them some Probios paste for a couple of days and offer them baking soda free choice to help avoid bloat.

They will need some good goat mineral.

Good luck!

Latest posts