Newbie Homesteaders in SE Alabama

HELEN929

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello! My husband and I have had chickens and ducks since 2014. In 2020 we moved to SE Alabama to start a homestead. We are interested in adding additional animals to our set up but are doing baby steps.

I am interested in talking to any one who has Barbados Black Belly sheep. Especially with regard to what infrastructure we would need to have in place for them.
thanks!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Texas. We have Katahdin hair sheep. I don’t know that much about Barbados, but my best guess would be a strong pen for the ram when he isn’t with the ladies. My ram is so laid back I can hold him with cow panels and hay twine. LOL

Good for y’all for achieving your dream!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello! My husband and I have had chickens and ducks since 2014. In 2020 we moved to SE Alabama to start a homestead. We are interested in adding additional animals to our set up but are doing baby steps.

I am interested in talking to any one who has Barbados Black Belly sheep. Especially with regard to what infrastructure we would need to have in place for them.
thanks!
Welcome to BYH!

I have never had sheep.... so can't help you there.....

But in general, with animals that eat hay, a building big enough to hold a years worth of hay, nice and dry and set up to minimize fire risk, is an excellent investment.

And fencing.... you always need fencing.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. Well, with sheep, the housing can be less intense because they carry that fur coat for winter warmth. ;) but certainly something for wind and rain. We southerners are blessed with less dramatic winters!! Now, Alaskan there IN Alaska has to dig a path to the chicken coop most every morning in winter. :oops: His pictures are amazing....

How much land do you have to tend? Any other homestead activities yet? We love pictures.😁 Several members with sheep, some even spin the fleece. Wander through back posts, there's a lot of info.

Latest posts