Newbie, need advice

UglyDog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello, I have had my two girls for a year now, got a Buck about 5 and half months ago, and Both are getting within days of kidding. My last goat a owned several years back delivered fine by herself in middle of night, never had trouble, but I did not know if that was her first experience or not.

I am getting worried because I feel like they are HUGE, and I am excited anticipating the new arrivals. They should both be due within 3-4 days of each other. Both will be their first kidding.

1)What signs would I look for to know if they were in distress?

2)Should I stay with them or let them have their privacy during the birthing?

3) will the buck in the same pasture be a problem? These are fainters and the Buck is really slow and unable to move around fast, or agile He usually keeps his distance from them throughout most days, I lock them in a 10 x 40 ft pen at night to prevent predators.

4) What special attention will the kids need?

5) will they need help nursing? Is their a chance the mommas may reject them?

6) Is it okay to leave the two does together to have their babies?

7) Any other advice or tips would be appreciated

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
1)What signs would I look for to know if they were in distress?
This can vary. Generally you have to know your does. If they're in active, pushing labor and making no progress, you need to go in. If they're acting really uncomfortable and have had no ligs for awhile, you need to check inside.

2)Should I stay with them or let them have their privacy during the birthing?
Stay! Be there if possible, problems can occur - and it's just too cool to miss esp if you don't need to help.

3) will the buck in the same pasture be a problem? These are fainters and the Buck is really slow and unable to move around fast, or agile He usually keeps his distance from them throughout most days, I lock them in a 10 x 40 ft pen at night to prevent predators.
You should remove the buck, IMO, to protect the kids from injury and to avoid immediate rebreeding.

4) What special attention will the kids need?
Dipping of cords, insuring they nurse well the first hour and for the first 24 hrs. I also help mom dry them and clear their mouths and noses at birth.

5) will they need help nursing? Is their a chance the mommas may reject them?
I don't help unless it's obvious they need help...rarely. Yes, some dams will reject them...you just need to be observant. Don't freak out if first time mothers are a little put off by this alien thing that just caused them a lot of pain...just keep baby in front of them, they usually come around within an hour.

6) Is it okay to leave the two does together to have their babies?
I don't, immediately. I give mom and kids at least 24 hrs of bonding time in a stall before putting them in a group surrounding. Many do let it all happen in the group, I'm just a little funny about it.

7) Any other advice or tips would be appreciated
HAVE FUN! Kids are the best part of keeping goats. Spend a lot of time with them and enjoy.

jojo@rolling acres farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This is an exciting time...Kate is right. Remove the buck asap. I also make sure my does are totally alone in a stall or at the very least in a private section of the stall. They need to bond with the kids. New born kids don't need the confusion of two does either. They should be up and nursing within 45 minutes after being born. At least, that is the rule of thumb here. We had triplets born last night and all three had eaten within an hour of being born.

I would not allow your buck to breed the does back until October or November.

Fainters are by nature really good moms. We've been breeding them for six years (20+ does) and I've never had one not "claim" her kid/kids. Good Luck...keep us posted.

UglyDog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank You both for the responses. I will get the Buck into another pen in the morning, and divide the pen for my girls.