Newbie question: Best way to get does bred...?

St1ckyBun

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok so I convinced hubby to allow me to get a couple ND does next spring (SRSLY YEA!) And I am clearing land and hubby is working on a building and fencing.

But the next obvious question is what to do about breeding them? I am planning on investing in my herd and getting quality does. I have a couple breeders lined up for the does, but they are pretty far away. Thats ok for picking up does but I cant drive a couple hours every time my does fancies herself a date. Plus, I plan on beeding on in fall and one in spring. I am not in the goat "circuit" so I really dont know any reputable breeders/stud service around the Charlotte area and I dont want to just use "any ol buck". I want to keep the quality of the line high.

1). I can buy a buck...but I am kind of limited on land and plus that would only work to breed one time (before it would be considered inbreeding). Plus there is the separate housing odor issue (wouldnt be a big deal if I had more land).

2). I can buy a buck once a year then sell him...but I cant imagine there are are a lot of people wanting to buy bucks. So I imagine I may lose money on that deal. Plus same housing/buck smell issue as #1.

3). I can roll the dice and use the one or two people I found online...but I don't know if the bucks are "good".

I plan on going to the Evin Evans Classic in June...maybe I can meet someone who offers stud service but I would appreciate any input or advice from you pros out there. :)

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When you say not much land, how much land do you have? We are on 2 acres, which I think is a pittance, but we have our own buck. We tried the borrow a buck thing for a couple of years, but when you do that, you don't always know what you are bringing to your girls (diseases, etc). There are many here that have lots better advice on this than me, but I like having my own herd sire.

St1ckyBun

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When you say not much land, how much land do you have? We are on 2 acres, which I think is a pittance, but we have our own buck. We tried the borrow a buck thing for a couple of years, but when you do that, you don't always know what you are bringing to your girls (diseases, etc). There are many here that have lots better advice on this than me, but I like having my own herd sire.

I am on 1.33 acres but only about .25 will be fenced for goats. Even if I could put a buck on there...I would only be able to breed him once before we got into 'father daughter' breedings :/

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
At the moment, we are in the same boat as you. Buy a buck once a year and sell or rent one. Both can be time consuming and potentially harmful if you bring disease into your herd that way. A friend of mine bought 5 does from a breeder and that breeder made them a deal that they could breed to her bucks so long as absolutely NO OTHER GOATS were brought in to their new little herd. Something to think about but if you can't do the drive twice a year to some of these further breeders it makes it more difficult. Good luck!

Colorful_Goat_Mama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok so I convinced hubby to allow me to get a couple ND does next spring (SRSLY YEA!) And I am clearing land and hubby is working on a building and fencing.

But the next obvious question is what to do about breeding them? I am planning on investing in my herd and getting quality does. I have a couple breeders lined up for the does, but they are pretty far away. Thats ok for picking up does but I cant drive a couple hours every time my does fancies herself a date. Plus, I plan on beeding on in fall and one in spring. I am not in the goat "circuit" so I really dont know any reputable breeders/stud service around the Charlotte area and I dont want to just use "any ol buck". I want to keep the quality of the line high.

1). I can buy a buck...but I am kind of limited on land and plus that would only work to breed one time (before it would be considered inbreeding). Plus there is the separate housing odor issue (wouldnt be a big deal if I had more land).

2). I can buy a buck once a year then sell him...but I cant imagine there are are a lot of people wanting to buy bucks. So I imagine I may lose money on that deal. Plus same housing/buck smell issue as #1.

3). I can roll the dice and use the one or two people I found online...but I don't know if the bucks are "good".

I plan on going to the Evin Evans Classic in June...maybe I can meet someone who offers stud service but I would appreciate any input or advice from you pros out there. :)
Maybe semen straws???

St1ckyBun

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well...worse case I know a lady close to me who raises Alpines and Nubians. I was thinking of Nubians as well...so maybe she will sell me some does and consider a studding service.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I finally gave up and bought my own buck and that was only having to drive 4 miles to get service. Sometimes the day is just darn inconvenient. I line breed for one generation but you don't have to keep the kids. With your limited space you may decide to sell the offspring and just keep the two. Or buy more goats from someone else so you can keep using your buck.

Bucks do smell in the fall, that is a given, but you get used to it. My buck used to be housed 15' from where I milked and it never affected the flavor of the milk.

You can learn to do AI but the setup is not cheap to get started.

St1ckyBun

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Or...I may just get a male and find room for him. If he is next to the females but fenced separately will he be ok by himself or does he need a whether in with him?

...and this is how you go from 2 goats to 938483849023540 goats :th