Newbie question- not eating or drinking much - second day!!!

Firemedichagy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
DMSO is juice from a tree. You should be able to get it from any farm store. Here is a recipe that will help get him to drink water.
Qaurt of warm water
A drizzle of molasses
Or corn syrup.
Hope gets well.

Thanks TAH,
I'll get that started tonight. Fingers crossed that he will continue to improve on his own. He's never refused food, treats everything before so i was really scared but he's peeing more tonight and it's not so dark (concentrated, ugh)
I massaged his leg and sides all thru the night and made sure he was still gurgling/burping and kept him on a soft mattress.
(Yes, busted a very spoiled goat slept on my bed last night, lol)
Seeing him in pain breaks my heart :(
Hopefully the medication will help soon.
I feel like it's a stupid question but will they refuse to eat or drink with pain ??
So it may not be a sick goat just a hurting one???

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your welcome. Your question is not stupid. Yes they can. We have a doe that hoof rot and she wouldn't eat or drink until I gave her molasses with her food and water. He is such a cutie. He is totally spoiled. Is he a house goat?

Firemedichagy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is he the goat as your avatar?

Yes the avatar, that's my Vinny.
He's a spoiled brat. Since he's our only goat he hangs in the house with the dogs. He's been with the dogs outside during the day / inside at night since he was little. We got him at 4 days old.
Our companion goat didn't work out. I am planning to try again but for now it's just him and the 2 dogs.

Firemedichagy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
He will beat you to death to get in his crate if it storms or someone turns on the vacuum, lol
It's big enough for him and I both, he can turn around and stand upright completely.
When he was a baby I would put him in the little crate at night after his bottle and the crate just got bigger as he did. But he is only in it from about midnight to 6-7 am. It's his safe place, kinda funny.. If he knows it's time for medicine or hooves he will run to the crate if he's inside (hard as heck to pull him out of there, he definitely has the advantage)
This yr I had a few "changes" and now it's just me in my bed at night so it's not uncommon for him to mosy in and claim his side of the bed. He's cleaner than the dogs, doesn't lick his crotch all night and makes a great foot warmer....
I guess it's a little strange but we all have something weird , I suppose :lol:
What state do you live in?

Reactions: TAH

Firemedichagy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
He turned 4 on February 02
I got him at 4 days old
image.jpg

Firemedichagy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No, the limp started last year and I took him straight to the vet. After 3 visits it was determined that it was a sprain and would resolve with some help from anti inflammatory meds.
It didn't get better. It was about the same until about 4 months ago it really began to bother him. Many more doc visits, including a 2nd opinion..
Really bad arthritis. My heart breaks for him. He's so young to have to endure this the rest of his life. Weight loss will help, I'm sure. But he has to be active and when you hurt you don't want to be active.. Creating a difficult circle.
I looked up the DMSO , I will get it tomorrow. The reviews on it are excellent and it's all of $8.00 at tractor supply. Thanks tons for that. Hoping that helps as much as people say it does.
Do you dilute it? Put it on a cloth, or just pour some in your hand?