Newbie Question....

Shoofly

Just born
Reaction score
Hey there! I have decided to (finally) get a llama! After several years of pining and the last month of educating myself with internet, phone conversations, books and asking anyone I know that has any knowledge, I have made the plunge and am (hopefully) going to be joining the llama world in about a month. I have found a 7 month old male from a reputable breeder and have spoken to her several times. He has been raised with other llamas and is ready to go home. I am currently working on fencing and building a structure for him before bringing him to his new digs.

My biggest hurdle is the companion animal. I have done a lot of reading and am up in the air as to what to get this little guy as a friend. Obviously, another llama would be best, but I am not sure that this is the best option for me financially. A goat is out of the question as my boyfriend does not like them. So, I am left with a sheep, a horse or mini (too expensive and between teeth and farrier I don't want to delve into the equestrian world) or......???

I have 4 geese and was wondering if they would act as companion animals? I know it is a stretch, but someone told me this could work so I just thought I would confirm here. As they are fowl, and not necessarily "herd" animals, I thought it sounded fishy.

Obviously, I want this guy to have the very best life with me and be happy in his new home. Any suggestions?? I live on about an acre and have a flock of chickens, 4 geese and two large (and extremely animal friendly) dogs.

Thanks in advance! Monica

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know nothing about alpacas I was just reading the new posts. I do have geese though. We have a Poultry business, we have sold off most of our geese. I can tell you none of our geese like anything but other geese, they tolerate the ducks. They nip at our goats, stare down the sheep, don't tangle too much with the chickens but HATE all the dogs and strangers. Not the best companion animal for any animal really. They would probably not even notice your alpaca.

What kind of gal has a bf that hates goats??? Just gotta ask. ;) Just Kidding :lol:

Oh I just realized ... :welcome from North Carolina!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would get him either an alpaca or llama friend. The geese will not work as buddies. A sheep might work depending on how they are with each other.