Newbie to Goats

capeme

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
SO we just completed building out our goat run-in/barn and we put down a layer of gravel with the ide of putting straw on top for the goats. Does anyone see any issue wit this?

Now fencing. I have locust posts and plan on using a 48" tall mesh Red Brand 70315 Square Deal Goat & Sheep Wire Fence - Does anyone see an issue with that?

Thanks so much for any assistance here as like I said I am new to all this and want to try and do it right the first time..though that may be wishful thinking. :)

Aunt Angus

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am also new at this, so I am intrested in hearing others' thoughts on this. I was planning 6ft woven wire with t-posts. I may even go 8' with hot wire up high and down low because of coyotes.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
SO we just completed building out our goat run-in/barn and we put down a layer of gravel with the ide of putting straw on top for the goats. Does anyone see any issue wit this?
Well... a crushed gravel bed is a good way to raise the base layer so that the barn is a bit higher than the surrounding area... so the drainage is good and the barn doesn't get sloppy.

I would worry that gravel would result in issues with feet...

BUT

I vaguely remember that when we made our barn... we might have put down gravel as a base... see my first point....

However, over time... animals track in filth, and of course poo all over... and you can't ever rake it out 100%. A bunch gets trapped in the gravel.... you end up with a dirt floored barn... which is great..

so yeah... all good..

Now fencing. I have locust posts and plan on using a 48" tall mesh Red Brand 70315 Square Deal Goat & Sheep Wire Fence - Does anyone see an issue with that?
Completely depends on your goats and your predators. So... no idea if that will work or not.

capeme

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well... a crushed gravel bed is a good way to raise the base layer so that the barn is a bit higher than the surrounding area... so the drainage is good and the barn doesn't get sloppy.

I would worry that gravel would result in issues with feet...

BUT

I vaguely remember that when we made our barn... we might have put down gravel as a base... see my first point....

However, over time... animals track in filth, and of course poo all over... and you can't ever rake it out 100%. A bunch gets trapped in the gravel.... you end up with a dirt floored barn... which is great..

so yeah... all good..

Completely depends on your goats and your predators. So... no idea if that will work or not.
Thanks for the input Alaskan!