Newbie with 14 going on 16 pets!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alpacas are wonderful @Horse1029 I have grown to love ours. They are very curious, and intelligent. We have a herd of all boys(intact). Will you be starting off with boys or girls? :)

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love horses, tell me about your old one :3 I've been to Alaska before, it's a really cool place :) pit bulls are my favorite kind of dog, so I can respect you mix :lol
Pits are one of my favorite breeds to. We had daisy for 6 months. We got her from a family that was moving. When we got her she was abused pretty bad so you couldn't even ride her. I did quite of bit of training and got her to were I could ride her. We only had 1.50 acres for our animals to run on and she to hard on the land so my dad said we needed to find her a new home. We found a wonderful home for her but she ended up having to be put down this last winter.

Here are some pics of wonderful daisy. She died at the age of 25. We are going to be getting a mule soon.

SAM_2101.JPG
SAM_2103.JPG
SAM_2104.JPG
SAM_2108.JPG

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aww she's pretty. Good for you for helping her. You made the remainder of her life enjoyable for her.

My mother in law had a horse named Killian who was severely abused. He ended up being a parade horse for her. He learned how to fake aggression so he would give off all the signs that he was going to attack you but he never would. He did this with people (ahem, like me!) that weren't in his trust circle, lol. He didn't do it with my husband or his mom. Made me nervous but he was a sweetheart if you got to know him.

Reactions: TAH

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Woo-hoo my husband said I can have alpacas. He said he will build me a chute for them if I do the shearing. :weee
I even know someone who can probably find me some free ones

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:weee

But be aware that the chute won't likely be useful for shearing. Of the dozens of videos I've watched not ONE was done in a chute. Usually on the ground on a mat with front and rear legs pulled in opposite directions. Occasionally on a table. Those people had helpers. One holding the head and 1 collecting the fleece. Of course these people had a bunch to do and they were moving pretty fast, thus the "fleece collector. I suspect it is much easier with 2 than one though. There was 1 where a lady was doing it by herself with the animal standing up. It was haltered and tied, she "held" its body against a wall. The potential problem with this method is the animal could decide to say "NOPE!" and cush.

But you don't need to mention that until after you get the chute ;) It could be useful for other things.

Now, to find some nice affordable (free is good) healthy animals :)

Last edited:

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey, welcome to BYH! I've got 5 turkeys, 5 ducks, 5 quail, 3 rabbits, 1 cow, and countless chickens. Soon I hope to have sheep. I also work for a few local farmers who raise show pigs(30+ sows, Many piglets), chickens(250 layers and a varying amount of broilers), alpacas(60+), and sheep(30+). XD I love animals. :) You came to the right place.

:weee

But be aware that the chute won't likely be useful for shearing. Of the dozens of videos I've watched not ONE was done in a chute. Usually on the ground on a mat with front and rear legs pulled in opposite directions. Occasionally on a table. Those people had helpers. One holding the head and 1 collecting the fleece. Of course these people had a bunch to do and they were moving pretty fast, thus the "fleece collector. I suspect it is much easier with 2 than one though. There was 1 where a lady was doing it by herself with the animal standing up. It was haltered and tied, she "held" its body against a wall. The potential problem with this method is the animal could decide to say "NOPE!" and cush.

But you don't need to mention that until after you get the chute ;) It could be useful for other things.

Now, to find some nice affordable (free is good) healthy animals :)
That's exactly how we do it. I'm the bring-the-alpacas-over-and-stretch-them-out-on-the-floor-guy. Shearing them while they are standing is generally not a good idea as they often buck.

Many people bring there few alpacas over and throw them in with a big herd and help shear them all and then take there sheared alpacas out. This is probably easiest but has the most risk of spreading diseases so I probably wouldn't do it. Hope you're able to get some!

Horse1029

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Alpacas are wonderful @Horse1029 I have grown to love ours. They are very curious, and intelligent. We have a herd of all boys(intact). Will you be starting off with boys or girls? :)
One boy, one girl who is not able to breed. They will be pets, same as our beloved chickens! We will be selling their flleve, the girl is white and a AMAZING producer! I might learn to spin as well :D

Horse1029

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey, welcome to BYH! I've got 5 turkeys, 5 ducks, 5 quail, 3 rabbits, 1 cow, and countless chickens. Soon I hope to have sheep. I also work for a few local farmers who raise show pigs(30+ sows, Many piglets), chickens(250 layers and a varying amount of broilers), alpacas(60+), and sheep(30+). XD I love animals. :) You came to the right place.

That's exactly how we do it. I'm the bring-the-alpacas-over-and-stretch-them-out-on-the-floor-guy. Shearing them while they are standing is generally not a good idea as they often buck.

Many people bring there few alpacas over and throw them in with a big herd and help shear them all and then take there sheared alpacas out. This is probably easiest but has the most risk of spreading diseases so I probably wouldn't do it. Hope you're able to get some!
Good to know, I live in Connecticut, so alpacas will be an interesting association to the family! Ill keep in mind what you two said about shearing, ill have to research more about it absolutely

Horse1029

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Pits are one of my favorite breeds to. We had daisy for 6 months. We got her from a family that was moving. When we got her she was abused pretty bad so you couldn't even ride her. I did quite of bit of training and got her to were I could ride her. We only had 1.50 acres for our animals to run on and she to hard on the land so my dad said we needed to find her a new home. We found a wonderful home for her but she ended up having to be put down this last winter.

Here are some pics of wonderful daisy. She died at the age of 25. We are going to be getting a mule soon.

View attachment 23098 View attachment 23099 View attachment 23100 View attachment 23101
She is a beautiful horse, I admire what you did for her :) I have heard all sorts of things about mules, good and bad so you must keep me posted xD mules are very cool though, I read and researched them for a while. Daisy is beautiful!

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is a beautiful horse, I admire what you did for her :) I have heard all sorts of things about mules, good and bad so you must keep me posted xD mules are very cool though, I read and researched them for a while. Daisy is beautiful!
Thank you. She was a beautiful animal and very sweet. I will.

Latest posts