Newbie with 50 rabbits!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a lot to butcher. I guess I am just getting older, but if I have over 8 or so to do, I divide up and conquer another day. The most I recall doing in a day is 10. That was by myself and a marathon! The problem with having 10 carcasses on ice or in the fridge is spending more time the next day quartering and processing. Sounds like you and friend did great!

My process is three days. 1) butcher, carcass goes in small tub of salt ice water to shock cool, drip dry and get on ice.
2) quarter and put in gallon bags, goes in fridge to drain
3) finish processing into what cuts I or purchaser want, and I use butcher paper to wrap, put back into a gallon freezer bag and used/sold fresh or goes into freezer.

Mikella

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So glad it went well!

I am really surprised that there were only two nests...and I am wondering how many there would have been if they had another month in the colony. Some of the does must have been pregnant. In fact, the mother of the kindle you kept might be pregnant also.

You’re definitely right! There were a couple pregnant does that we butchered. Luckily only one doe was really far along in her pregnancy. That was the only part of the process that made us stop and have to take a minute. We had a cocktail and kept working. The other does were in very early stages. I didn’t have the space to keep the does and wait for them to kindle. If the mom I have now would have been pregnant I believe she would have had them by now. I have 5 more days to be sure. Actually I’m glad you mentioned that because as I’m typing I realize I saw pulled fur this morning and I thought she was trying to keep her current kindle warm. They are about to weaning age so do you think I should remove them?

Mikella

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That is a lot to butcher. I guess I am just getting older, but if I have over 8 or so to do, I divide up and conquer another day. The most I recall doing in a day is 10. That was by myself and a marathon! The problem with having 10 carcasses on ice or in the fridge is spending more time the next day quartering and processing. Sounds like you and friend did great!

My process is three days. 1) butcher, carcass goes in small tub of salt ice water to shock cool, drip dry and get on ice.
2) quarter and put in gallon bags, goes in fridge to drain
3) finish processing into what cuts I or purchaser want, and I use butcher paper to wrap, put back into a gallon freezer bag and used/sold fresh or goes into freezer.

It was definitely a marathon! The first rabbit took about an hour because neither of us had ever done it but once we got the swing of things it really went smooth! I think our last rabbit from start to finish only took about 15-20 minutes. We started at 10 AM and went until about 5 PM. I did soak them in ice water the first night but one thing that you mentioned that I didn’t do is let them drain another day in the fridge. I’ll definitely be doing that next time! What age do you like to butcher best? This litter I have is about 4 weeks old and I’m going to process them when they get a bit bigger but I’m not sure how long that will be.

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have had a few accidental pregnancies and it is rather sobering to process a pregnant doe.

Actually I’m glad you mentioned that because as I’m typing I realize I saw pulled fur this morning and I thought she was trying to keep her current kindle warm. They are about to weaning age so do you think I should remove them?

Well, I personally have not had experience with back-to-back pregnancies, but I also have not seen a doe pull more fur for kits who eyes were open...so I would treat this situation as if she is pregnant and about to kindle.

As to when to remove the first litter, I would not know what to say. I am as interested as you are what others would have to say about this situation. I think I would be assessing the doe's milk production levels and making my decision considering that. If she has kindled and then I think I would wean the first litter.

Mikella

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have had a few accidental pregnancies and it is rather sobering to process a pregnant doe.

Well, I personally have not had experience with back-to-back pregnancies, but I also have not seen a doe pull more fur for kits who eyes were open...so I would treat this situation as if she is pregnant and about to kindle.

As to when to remove the first litter, I would not know what to say. I am as interested as you are what others would have to say about this situation. I think I would be assessing the doe's milk production levels and making my decision considering that. If she has kindled and then I think I would wean the first litter.

After reading and replying to your comment I had to go check that nest and sure enough... at the very bottom of the nest there were four babies. Unfortunately they were all dead. We’ve had lots of cold and rain. The whole cage is covered in a tarp but they must have still gotten too cold and possible smothered by the 7 bigger babies. But that’s another lesson learned for me. I hate to say it but I was a little relieved. This momma has been a total rockstar through everything. She’s earned her keep around here and even though she’s a mutt bunny whose a little on the smaller side she is a dang good mom and I’ll be breeding her again after she’s had some time to rest and recoup.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I left a batch together too long over winter, and had two does that were pregnant. It is not pleasant for me after 30 years of butchering rabbits.

I try to go for 5lbs by 10 weeks. After 11 weeks or so, they become sexually active.
If you want "roasters", sex them and separate. Mine the other day were 16 weeks.

Mikella

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I left a batch together too long over winter, and had two does that were pregnant. It is not pleasant for me after 30 years of butchering rabbits.

I try to go for 5lbs by 10 weeks. After 11 weeks or so, they become sexually active.
If you want "roasters", sex them and separate. Mine the other day were 16 weeks.

Thank you! I’m looking forward to processing the next batch. The young ones were the first to get eaten up.

Mikella

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry for the lost of the second kindle.

I have this philosophy about does: even if I seriously doubt they are pregnant after a breeding (or unintentional exposure to a buck), I asume they are and set everything up accordingly. It has proven to be far more often right than wrong.

It’s okay. I don’t believe there’s not much I could have done other than remove the older babies who aren’t quite ready to leave any.

Thank you. I’ll keep that in mind going forward.

Mikella

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
8E4BCBCE-1510-4151-9725-758DA806A8CE.jpeg

I was gifted a Californian doe last week who was pregnant. She kindled a healthy litter today. I’m so happy to have some healthy babies.