Newbie with rabbits

LaurieDLandry

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all! I went looking for info on raising rabbits and found this site on Backyard Chickens.I already have many chickens and bought a friend's entire herd of rabbits, together with cages, waterers, feeders, and even food and hay.

We live on only one acre in South Louisiana. I didn't really want livestock but caved at my husband's request. "HIS chickens" quickly turned into me caring for them and loving them. We wanted to add rabbit and quail. When a friend decided to sell (at an incredible price), we jumped at the chance to start with rabbits. So we started with 21 rabbits (with 3 already knocked up)!! o_O Then, they asked that we take them earlier than expected. So we have 4 (4-opening) hanging cages in various places with 3 double cages on sawhorses in the back yard! We have ordered a carport cover to enclose for the rabbitry. The cover should be installed within the next 2 weeks. In the meantime, we are awaiting a delivery of fill dirt to level the area and build it up so we don't have drainage issues (Louisiana is a very wet state).

Although my intention was to focus on meat rabbits, we ended up with more pet & show (pedigreed) rabbits. We have 6 Netherland Dwarf, 6 Mini Rex, 2 Lionhead, 1 Dutch, 1 mix, 2 New Zealand, and 3 Flemish Giants. My husband has raised rabbits but I am clueless. I have a lot to learn. I devour information quickly when I want to master a subject. So, bombard me with info, please.

Laurie Landry

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would suggest looking at those two sites. I learned a lot from both.
You can cross the new zealand and flemish together and make a decent meat rabbit. Dutch were originally a meat rabbit.
Biggest thing shade, grass hay and fresh water. Keep them dry. Heats a problem with bigger rabbits. Where you are cold shouldn't be a concern. Keep a bottle of mineral oil handy for ear mites. Don't overfeed with pellets, fat rabbits aren't healthy and harder to breed.
Mine are under a cloth carport, mosquitoes and flies can become a problem. Poop gets wet it draws flies, dolomitic lime helps keep down the aroma. Product called Spartan mosquito eradicator helped ALOT. Read the posts on here, lots of good information.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you don't intend to show and want meat rabbits instead of pets, I recommend you look into rehoming/selling the smaller rabbits (Netherland Dwarf, mini Rex, Lion head, Dutch, etc). If they are pedigreed and show quality, you could probably sell them for a decent amount and use the money to buy more meat breed bunnies. 4H and FFA I believe both show rabbits so that might be a good source of buyers.

Take a look through the Rabbit forum, there are a lot of posts available with a ton of info. Congrats on your new rabbits and good luck!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I too would recommend reducing the number of breeds.

That would make it easier for breeding and management.