Newbie with scurs

PittyLova

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm new to goats and just got a pair of sister Tog/Nigerian Dwarf crosses about a month ago, and added a little 8 week old Nigerian buckling last week. The two sisters bout have scurs. One they're hardly even noticeable and they don't bother her or me in the least. The other has one really tiny one like her sister, and another that's slightly bigger. I thought it was big until I started looking them up. The problem is the bigger one is curling forward towards her skull and the tip is resting right on the skin now. I want to clip it. My concern is where it's so small that I may hit some place I shouldn't. How do I know where all of the innards of the horn are and where is a safe place to clip?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! :frow

You don't always know. :(
You could try the gigli wire and just remove where it is curled.
You will need to make sure you have blood stop powder on hand. if you cut too far in they you could really hit a bleeder.

I have pics of use of the gigli wire use in an article I wrote.
https://www.backyardherds.com/resources/horns-dis-bud-polled.31/

We also have a thread of one of our Lamanchas that knocked her scur off and nearly died- GRAPHIC
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/warning-graphic-unnatural-scur-breaks-off.34295/#post-441659

Honestly I would recommend a good goat vet if you have one.

On a side note- If they are from registered Toggs and the ND was a registered buck they are technically Miniature Toggenburgs.
I have Miniature dairy goats as well as standards and dwarfs.
There is a registry for Miniatures.

http://miniaturedairygoats.net/

The miniature world is growing very fast.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a ram that had a curling scur and we had to trim it from time to time. I clipped the tip a little at a time. If it continues to be a problem, you may have to have the vet remove it.

Welcome to the forum!

PittyLova

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies!

Do you guys recommend using the wire, or would trimmers be OK? I read somebody used hoof trimmers, but most videos I see are of the wires (and their scurs are much bigger than my girl's). Is it possible to train the scurs away from the head? Sorry if that's a stupid question haha!

We are working on finding a good vet in the area. Currently I haven't found one I like even for my dogs and recently drove them 2 and a half hour one way for their yearly physicals to our old vet. I have feelers out to some people for one.

I'm not positive if the girls' parents are both registered. I wasn't planning on getting goats just yet (we just bought our place in September), but I saw them and got them for a steal so couldn't say no. Especially where they were a mix of the 2 different breeds I was considering anyway. But that's good to know that there's a name for them. It makes sense that the mini world would be growing with more people seeming to go back to the homesteading lifestyle.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you get a pic?

The wire will cauterize while it cuts. Of course you don't want to use this in an area with heavy blood flow, but for the tip of the scur it should be fine.

PittyLova

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That makes perfect sense, Goat Whisperer. I didn't think of it like that. I can try to get a pictures in the morning of it.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Me have typically used wire but I do remember using hoof shears (sterilized) like @Baymule mentioned taking 1/8-1/4 inch off at a time on one spindly little scur because I was reburning and it was tall... looked like a stick or twig is a better description.... I took the tip off and burned.

The interesting thing is some scurs you never have issues with. Some turn into an ordeal... the worst thing is it is usually the skinny little "nothing of a scur" kind that cause the most issue. Go figure.

Yeah, like GW said pics are helpful.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@PittyLova no one is disrespecting privacy but if you could add your region and state that is helpful... many can refer vets, or when issues arise understanding climate and area is important.

Some give city and state... some give region and state

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used PVC pipe cutters. I got tired of it, the ram wasn't the best of his breed anyway, and he is in the freezer. LOL