Newbie X breed questions

Wayne Kellen

Just born
Reaction score
I am new to rabbits as of yesterday. I built a hutch that is 5' x 7'. It is 3' above the ground with wire bottom. Then 2 foot up from there to the roof. It has 3 quarters. Each is 2'4" wide x 3' long x 2' tall that is all wire around with a solid roof. Each also has a 2'4" wide x 2' deep x 2' tall closed in section with bedding. My daughter wanted a bunny, so I figured I would start with 3. Funny how that works. My goal is for her to have 3 pets and me to get offspring from them for meat. We went to the local Rural King since I don't know any local breeders. They really didn't have much to choose from. She ended up picking out a female NZW, a mini Rex male, and a female dwarf something. I know, not what you want for meat. Now to my breed question....

Will the NZW doe bred with the Mini Rex buck produce a rabbit that will be somewhat edible after 10-12 weeks? Also, if I keep a doe from said X breed, will it possibly throw a little larger breed also, or will the mini trait be more dominant?

Also what if I keep a buck from the cross and breed it to the two does instead of the mini Rex? Will they end up a larger breed than the mini and dwarf?

Thanks,
Wayne

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
As you know the only true meat type you bought was the nzw.... a mini rex is only 4 to 6#... though body type is similar. It's a toss up if you'll get the growth you want.
my opinion is let her keep the small bunnies for pets and find a meat type buck. There are tons of fb groups for selling rabbits, craigslist, check arba's site for local shows. Lots of places to find a good sized meat type buck. Sounds like you're handy, so build another cage set up for 3 more cages as it allows for another doe, plus a grow cage as kits should be weaned at 6 to 8 weeks.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frowglad you joined us! I agree with @promiseacres, hard to say what you would end up with but could always try it and see. Post some pictures of your cage set up and new additions- everyone loves pictures :D

Wayne Kellen

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies! We have had nonstop rain, so it had been tough getting everything built. Once I get these placed in their permanent location, I will probably start on a couple more cages. (They stayed in a large pet taxi in the house last night) Then I can look around for the breeds I need. I will probably give the cross a try just to see what size I get from them.

Wayne Kellen

Just born
Reaction score
Image of the NZW.

Attachments

• raBBIT1.jpg
    raBBIT1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 120

countrygirl1178

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Countrygirl here i also have a breed question can you breed a Himalayan dwarf doe with a black otter buck that has sable and siamese sable in his back ground

SableSteel

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It is risky. If the otter carries Himalayan (or rew), you will get about 1/2 martenized Himalayan (which is unshowable, and shouldn't be bred) and 1/2 black otter that carries Himalayan (which can be shown, but shouldn't be bred or sold to those wanting to breed, because you don't want Himalayan in otter lines). If the otter carries shaded, you should get about 1/2 black otter that carry Himalayan (which can be shown, but shouldn't be bred or sold to those wanting to breed, because you don't want Himalayan in otter lines), and 1/2 sable marten (congrats, that's the best possible result from this pair). If the black otter doesn't carry either, you'll get all black otter carrying Himalayan (which can be shown, but shouldn't be bred or sold to those wanting to breed, because you don't want Himalayan in otter lines). If you get sables or (non martenized) Himalayans (which would happen if the otter also carries self) you can use those just like normal sables and Himalayans from all shaded background. If you get blacks, those can be used pretty easily in a shaded program.

Generally, you want to keep otter and Himalayan separate, but anything with a sable background can mix with Himalayan fairly well.

countrygirl1178

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks sable steel
here is what is in the background of my black otter Seal- Silver Marten-Chestnut- Siamese Smoke Pearl
here is what is in the background of my Himalayan Seal-Siamese Sable-Broken Siamese Sable-Siamese Smoke pearl so they have alot in common

Latest posts