Newborn Chick Struggling to Breathe... Help!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Again that maybe a state by state thing, We do not have a distinction between "commercial flocks" and "exhibition flocks" here.

While the state has been lax on the MG testing they are changing. I know if you have Turkeys you will be required to test every three months for MG. It is a swap test and can be done at the same time as the AI test. The AI test here is a swap of 10 birds into a medium that is then tested. The MG test is a swap that goes into a dry pack to the lab. The test is required for 30% of your flock with a minimum of 30 birds (or all your birds) All Turkeys must be tested.

I having worked my entire career with lawyers and having several Lawyers as good friends. ( yeah, lawyers really do have friends) it is only a matter of the right time and right case before a civil litigator will pull a third party "facilitator/accomplice" into a lawsuit by claiming negligence and disregard for the laws/rules. What lawyer would not like to nail E-Bay with a multi-million dollar suit? ( we will just have to agree to disagree on whether we think this will happen or not)

Also Southern, I understand typing posting and reading to realize you need to edit.. One of the things I do like about this format in the PMs.

You can edit any post ... not just pms... I think there is a little edit thing at the bottom .

I sure hope not ( about the legal thing). We will end up legislating people to death.... grrr The reality is these are animals. Unless everyone wants to have all birds raised in commercial buildings and no more chickens outside then this is how it is.... wild birds spread many illnesses. In the end if there is so much lesislation then once again the only people that will have poultry will be large corporations.

Duluthralphie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You can edit any post ... not just pms... I think there is a little edit thing at the bottom .

I sure hope not ( about the legal thing). We will end up legislating people to death.... grrr The reality is these are animals. Unless everyone wants to have all birds raised in commercial buildings and no more chickens outside then this is how it is.... wild birds spread many illnesses. In the end if there is so much lesislation then once again the only people that will have poultry will be large corporations.

I understand the desire to raise birds outside, I free range nearly everything, so the chances of catching something is there. I wait on the edge of my chair until my test results come back.

However, if people practiced a little more bio security common sense when bringing birds into the flocks the spread of disease would be less. Let's face it while a wild bird might brng something into your flock the chances of disease is larger from a new bird (especially from an untested source) or from a fellow bird owners boots as you show him your birds.

It is like the sayings about teenage daughters and sons.. With Sons you just worry about one boy, with a daughter you worry about every boy.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I understand the desire to raise birds outside, I free range nearly everything, so the chances of catching something is there. I wait on the edge of my chair until my test results come back.

However, if people practiced a little more bio security common sense when bringing birds into the flocks the spread of disease would be less. Let's face it while a wild bird might brng something into your flock the chances of disease is larger from a new bird (especially from an untested source) or from a fellow bird owners boots as you show him your birds.

It is like the sayings about teenage daughters and sons.. With Sons you just worry about one boy, with a daughter you worry about every boy.
Agree- bio-security is a must. That is one reason I am not a fan of poultry shows. We limit what comes in our drive as well.
TSC does flock swaps and we avoid the parking lot like the plague... well we won't even go on the weekends they do them.

Fowl pox hit our region a few years ago... the testers were saying it was a bad year so many farms ended up with the pox.
We have these wild birds ( forgot what they are called) and when they come in and set in the trees I think oh boy.... let's just hope ... sometimes you can see the foam around their eyes!

Duluthralphie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Agree- bio-security is a must. That is one reason I am not a fan of poultry shows. We limit what comes in our drive as well.
TSC does flock swaps and we avoid the parking lot like the plague... well we won't even go on the weekends they do them.

Fowl pox hit our region a few years ago... the testers were saying it was a bad year so many farms ended up with the pox.
We have these wild birds ( forgot what they are called) and when they come in and set in the trees I think oh boy.... let's just hope ... sometimes you can see the foam around their eyes!

I do go to a couple shows a year with my birds, but from September until Spring my show birds live inside my pole barn in quarantine from every other bird I have. They are pretty happy birds in the spring when they get out of their 4x8 breeding cages.

I actually have my drive blocked off with huge "Keep out" and "Bio-security Signs" People do not go back there, or when they do they are wearing my boots, booties and gloves, with strict instructions to touch nothing. Very few ever get in the barn.
I am thinking of getting a golf cart to drive people through the breeding pen area so I can show them the birds and they never touch the ground.

When Runnings, Fleetfarm, TSC or the feed mill have their chick days I avoid the place like crazy. I have special boots I wear to the stores.

I have a Wild hen turkey that comes up and flirts with my boys in the spring. I hate it. But If I shoot it the Game warden is upset, if I let it keep coming the USDA vet is upset..It is a no win deal for sure.