Newborn Chick Struggling to Breathe... Help!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
While I'm here..can anyone tell me how to start a new thread??
Go to the section you want to post in
Chickens - BYC CONVERSION
once there there will be a brown box in the upper right corner that says post new thread

Click on that
give your thread a title
write your content
hit post reply

SierraJuliet

Just born
Reaction score
I have another chick exhibiting similar symptoms this morning now. This one is two days old. Again, Isolated from the remainder of the chickens. The mucus is clear, the nasal passages are clear, and it's just coming out of the beak. If it is MG, what would the next steps be? I have four adult chickens, all from the same original breeder, all healthy and never exhibiting any symptoms of illness, and all I've had since they were less that two months old (the youngest is a little older than a year now).

Duluthralphie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you suspect MG, I would separate the the birds. I would also destroy all eggs, MG can be transmitted both ways.

Have all you birds tested, if they are positive destroy them. You could very destroying your whole flock.

You would have to disinfect everything before bringing birds back in. When you bought the parents did they come from a NPIP MG tested flock or not?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can have carrier birds that never exhinit signs or symptoms UNTIL conditions are right.
When chicks hatch and they display open mouth breathing, gasping etc it is not a good sign.

There are very few that do MG testing through NPIP- it is actually not strongly encouraged. Sadly many in NPIP think they are "tested for everything".

Duluthralphie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You can have carrier birds that never exhinit signs or symptoms UNTIL conditions are right.
When chicks hatch and they display open mouth breathing, gasping etc it is not a good sign.

There are very few that do MG testing through NPIP- it is actually not strongly encouraged. Sadly many in NPIP think they are "tested for everything".

The standards for NPIP are to test for it..ALL turkeys are tested for it and starting June First all birds in Mn will be tested for it..

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The standards for NPIP are to test for it..ALL turkeys are tested for it and starting June First all birds in Mn will be tested for it..

No it is not the standard. The standard test for Typhoid and Pullorum. AI is added in in some states but MG is a whole different program for exhibition birds. It is mandatory for commercial broiler & turkey operations.
There is variance from state to state but it is NOT mandatory for exhibition flocks which is what BYC owners are.

Duluthralphie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No it is not the standard. The standard test for Typhoid and Pullorum. AI is added in in some states but MG is a whole different program for exhibition birds. It is mandatory for commercial broiler & turkey operations.
There is variance from state to state but it is NOT mandatory for exhibition flocks which is what BYC owners are.

If you look at the 9-3 you should get it will tell you what is tested for. BTW it is Pullorum Typhoid not both.

Many states have increased demands on what they require for importation. I had to start testing for AI to send to several, MD. WV. VA. for some.

MG is a required test it is simply not done by several states,That is changing.

I have to test Quarterly my Turkeys and Chickens now for AI and MG.

A lot of misinformation is put out there by people who want you to think they are "NPIP Equivalent' So they continue to flaunt the laws by selling eggs and birds across state lines. Ebay is a good example.

It is only a matter of time before someone is sued for shipping a disease across statelines (I suspect it will be MG or AI) that wipes out a flock and the insuarance company decides to go after them..

I also believe the deep pockets theory will come into play. Ebay or even BYC will be sued also if they facilitated in the sale of untested non NPIP eggs or birds by allowing a non-NPIP source to advertise...

If you look at my 9-3,,and the state issues them as I use the online system, You will see every box checked. I would never buy from someone who does not have every box checked, I use too, but I have seen and heard too many horror stories like this were MG comes into their flocks and they lose everything.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Each state has control of what they do as far as some of the implementation. I was posting quickly as I do alot of other things simultaneously. LOL
In my state I would have been the only exhibition poultry breeder to run a MG free program as we were tested for it and negative... however my state vet recommended 30 day testing... not yearly or quarterly. I opted not to.

I disagree with the direction of the
It is only a matter of time before someone is sued for shipping a disease across statelines (I suspect it will be MG or AI) that wipes out a flock and the insuarance company decides to go after them.

MG is worldwide... it is a mycoplasma it will never be eradicated as wild birds carry it as well so it just won't happen. You would be wiping out poultry all over the world.
On the other hand if a breeder knowingly has it they should do all they can to eradicate it IMO.

MG is a required test it is simply not done by several states,That is changing.
Unless something has changed in the last 6 months this is not true. I am tested every year and every 3 months for AI. Exhibition poultry is NOT mandatory.
The commercial flocks around me are required as the monitoring program.
An exhibition flock MAY go on the program but it is not always encouraged. Far too much risk for the flock owner of exhibition poultry.
In our state automatic quarantine - $7000 fine if a bird goes off your propery. MINIMUM 60 day quarantine with either eradication or complete closed flock are the only alternatives.
Your state may implement things diferrently.

Duluthralphie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Each state has control of what they do as far as some of the implementation. I was posting quickly as I do alot of other things simultaneously. LOL
In my state I would have been the only exhibition poultry breeder to run a MG free program as we were tested for it and negative... however my state vet recommended 30 day testing... not yearly or quarterly. I opted not to.

I disagree with the direction of the

MG is worldwide... it is a mycoplasma it will never be eradicated as wild birds carry it as well so it just won't happen. You would be wiping out poultry all over the world.
On the other hand if a breeder knowingly has it they should do all they can to eradicate it IMO.

Unless something has changed in the last 6 months this is not true. I am tested every year and every 3 months for AI. Exhibition poultry is NOT mandatory.
The commercial flocks around me are required as the monitoring program.
An exhibition flock MAY go on the program but it is not always encouraged. Far too much risk for the flock owner of exhibition poultry.
In our state automatic quarantine - $7000 fine if a bird goes off your propery. MINIMUM 60 day quarantine with either eradication or complete closed flock are the only alternatives.
Your state may implement things diferrently.

Again that maybe a state by state thing, We do not have a distinction between "commercial flocks" and "exhibition flocks" here.

While the state has been lax on the MG testing they are changing. I know if you have Turkeys you will be required to test every three months for MG. It is a swap test and can be done at the same time as the AI test. The AI test here is a swap of 10 birds into a medium that is then tested. The MG test is a swap that goes into a dry pack to the lab. The test is required for 30% of your flock with a minimum of 30 birds (or all your birds) All Turkeys must be tested.

I having worked my entire career with lawyers and having several Lawyers as good friends. ( yeah, lawyers really do have friends) it is only a matter of the right time and right case before a civil litigator will pull a third party "facilitator/accomplice" into a lawsuit by claiming negligence and disregard for the laws/rules. What lawyer would not like to nail E-Bay with a multi-million dollar suit? ( we will just have to agree to disagree on whether we think this will happen or not)

Duluthralphie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Also Southern, I understand typing posting and reading to realize you need to edit.. One of the things I do like about this format in the PMs.