Newborn goat and the heat

Gatorpupsmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our Nubian had one little doe yesterday. The heat here is ungodly, and baby doesn't have as much "spunk" as I would like to see her with. I know temps in the 104 range aren't good for anyone, but will it harm a newborn goat? What can be done other than just shade to keep baby cool? She pants like crazy in the heat!!!!!

I am worried about her because I don't think Mama is letting her nurse as often as she should. In fact, we had to put Mama on the stand to let baby nurse the first time, and we are still helping to get her started at nursing time. She is peeing and pooping, so we know she is getting some milk, but she doesn't show as much "spunk" as I would like to see. Of course, I am not too spunky either in this darned heat!!!

Do I need to take extra measures to keep her cool in this blasted heat?

Thanks,

Kim

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One year when it was really hot and the air was still we move our calves out of the hutches and into the heifer barn and setup fans. The fans were setup to blow over the calves and NOT on them. This might be something that would help.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Yes, the heat is bad for newborns up to 2 weeks of age. You really should have a fan on them, make sure she doesn't fall asleep in the sun, etc. Some people in extremely hot climates actually dunk their kids in water several times a day to keep them cool.

Being hot will make the kid less interested in nursing and, from what I hear, summer milk production is also lower.

Congrats on your baby!! Pics?

Gatorpupsmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Why do they either pick sub zero temps or scorchers to have these little buggars?

Things we be easier if we can just make it til Thursday, when my hubby will be off again. Right now we are both working, and about all we can do is wet the ground down in shady spots for the girls.

Last night she was so sluggish that I had decided she probably wouldn't make it. I gave her goat drench and some vitamin E oil, trying to cover all the bases. We were a bit surprised when she got here on Sunday, as we were expecting Nubian/LaMancha cross babies to be born about mid-August. This baby is all Nubian. Long story on how we inherited the mama goat, but she wasn't in very good shape when we got her in May. We weren't even sure she was pregnant until about 3 weeks ago. She apparently got "exposed" earlier than they thought.

Meanwhile, we are all ROASTING, and temps expected in triple digits for several more days. My 8-year-old son got overheated at his day camp last Friday when temps got up to 107.

On a funny note, last weekend I decided to go out and sit with the girls and drink a glass of lemonade. Our Saanen doe promptly stuck her nose in my glass and sucked the lemonade down. She loves it! It's so hot here in Texas that my goats are demanding iced lemonade.....

Thanks

Kim

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Did you give the kid BoSe at birth? Selenium/vit e deficiency will make them sluggish, too, especially if the dam was a bit down during pregnancy.

:p Lemonade, huh!? Too funny!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
What about putting water in plastic pop bottles and have those for the goats to lay against? I know it won't last all day but at least give them some relief for a little while.

If it is too hot, I keep my animals locked up by the barn so they are forced to stay in the stall or overhang area (out of the sun totally). I also have fans going and put electrolytes in their water.

Thank goodness we don't get those over 100 temps though.

Good Luck.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
What about putting water in plastic pop bottles and have those for the goats to lay against? I know it won't last all day but at least give them some relief for a little while.
We do this but, freeze the bottles so they are ice bottles for some of the animals we have. Even once they turn to water they are cool. We forgot the frozen ones for Kute Kitten's rabbit she had at the fair so we left the water one in as it was cool to the touch until we could get the ice one.

Gatorpupsmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
she is nursing on her on now and every thing seems to be going fine she is even bucking around the yard a little.

Gatorpupsmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey, and it's perfectly logical to drive from work to home and then back to work, a 50 mile round trip, during one's lunch hour......isn't it? The past 2 days I have done that on my lunch hour. Yeah, do the math....that makes for one quick goat check! I have admittedly lost my mind!!!

I have made pics with my phone camera, but not with my digital camera yet. I will as soon as I can...

Thanks!

Kim

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Our goats like to just lay around when it's hot outside. Even the hyper kids don't play as rambunctiously as usual. All the advice above is good and sounds like the babe is doing well.

PICS??????!!!!!

Latest posts