Newborn Kid has FEVER

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Any experienced goat owner available. We have a newborn baby kid. He was a single born on Saturday morning. The deliver went smoothly. This is a summary of what has been going on. I'll work backwards. Tonight his temp is 103.4. Yesterday, I found worm in Dixie's poop. I called the vet and brought the poop in for a fecal. He said that he noticed coccidiosis and the white worms were probably tape. He asked if I had checked temps. I said no, I went home it takes about an hour. I checked temps and DIxie's was 108.7. I called the Vet office back and they said to be there at 5pm and they would work us in. I brought the baby and they checked him also and he also had a temp, 104.8. They started mom and baby on Nuflor and Bananmine plus gave mom lutylase in case she had retained placenta or any other undelivered babies. Dash had seemed fine bouncing around like a baby goat. Mom wasn't as much herself but I didn't really think she was sick. Both got meds at the office and sent home meds for us to administer. This morning Dixie's temp was 106 and Dash was 103.5. I gave them the banamine. At 8pm, Dixie's was 105.3 and Dash was 103.2. Dash didn't gain any weight today. I decided to bring him in and try to bottle feed him. I got about 1.5ounces in him. He seemed hot still. I took it again and it is 103.4. I called the vet at about 8:30. He didn't advise me to do anything differently.

Please give me some advice. I will post this and add to a second posting.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Alright, a little more backstory. Dash was born 6/13. The previous Saturday, we found Tipsy apparently sick. We brought her to the vet and he said that he thought she had listeriosis. We treated her extensively this week. Her temp finally seems to be resolved. The next day, Dolly went into preterm labor and aborted triplets. Before last weekend, we hadn't had any issues with our goats. I'm at a loss as to what is happening. I requested necropsies on the fetuses in the hopes that it will shed some light. Since Dixie and Dash got sick, the vet requested more tests of the fetuses looking for microplasm? This feels very serious. I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

WildersMilkMaid

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My heart is breaking for you. This sounds like a tough situation, but I am of no help on the subject. Hoping this extra comment will bump you back to the top where someone can help.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have any great ideas to help you, sorry about what is going on.....did your vet say anything about treating the coccidoisis ?....corrid in their water would help with that ...so sorry I can't be of more help to you...please keep us posted on how things are going for you.

@farmerjan @minihorses @Ridgetop @fustratedearthmother

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Temps are normal this morning. I kept Dash in a clothes basket in our bedroom last night. He sounds a little snuffy. I probably got 2-3ounces of his momma’s milk in him last night. He peed lots this morning. He hadn’t pooped last night or this morning before we took him outside.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't have any great ideas to help you, sorry about what is going on.....did your vet say anything about treating the coccidoisis ?....corrid in their water would help with that ...so sorry I can't be of more help to you...please keep us posted on how things are going for you.

@farmerjan @minihorses @Ridgetop @fustratedearthmother
Thanks @B&B Happy goats. He did give me meds for the coccidiosis. I forgot that one.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't have any words of wisdom for you. I think on this one you might have to trust the vet. It sounds like the meds he's given you are on point. That's what my vet would probably prescribe in the same circumstances. Hoping for the best!

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just haven’t gotten any diagnosis aside from the coccidiosis. Do large animal vets not do labs to check for low blood counts? My experience has always been with small animal vets and the ones I worked with always did tests.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't have any words of wisdom for you. I think on this one you might have to trust the vet. It sounds like the meds he's given you are on point. That's what my vet would probably prescribe in the same circumstances. Hoping for the best!
Thanks @frustratedearthmother! I’ve been doing as he’s said and 🙏 🙏 🙏.